Chapter 20: Seventeen (Reprise) [END]

BOOM!

I stumbled backwards, due to the explosion before me. I coughed violently, as smoke clouded everywhere. I fell back onto the grass, still hacking. After I calmed down a bit, I glanced back up, gagging a little.

He's gone...

I stumbled to my feet, holding my head. I made my way back to the school, attempting to wipe soot from my body. I glanced down at my attire, to see my jacket, and the hem of my skirt were singed. Oh well, guess I have to ditch these clothes. Not that I mind or anything. That also means I can get my mask back. I sure missed that...

I pushed open the front doors, to see everyone confused and running around. They must've heard the explosion from outside. I held my head, my ears still ringing from the explosion, as I wobbled over to where the Shadow Knights were.

Sasha ran up to me, checking me over. She placed her hands on my shoulders, biting her bottom lip. "Where have you been? People were saying you killed yourself!"

"You look like hell," Zenix added in, almost shoving Sasha off of me.

"Yeah? I just got back," I shrugged. I grabbed Zenix's wrist, pulling the scrunchie off of it.

"Hey! What are you doing?!"

I placed a small kiss on his cheek, creating a dark mark there. I then patted his shoulder, before gathering up my hair. Luckily, my hair was long enough to be pulled into a small ponytail, so this worked out well for me. I pulled my dark hair out of my face, which just so happened to reveal my blind eye, which I had kept hidden under my hair for so long.

It was horrendous looking, with an ugly scar. But do you know how many fucks I give at this point? Absolutely none. Because, I've just basically been to Hell and back.

(***)

"Listen up folks, war is over. Brand new sheriff's come to town. We are done with acting evil, we will lay our weapons down," I was handed a milk crate from Sasha- the same one that Ms. Laila had previously used. "We're all damaged, we're all frightened. We're all freaks- but that's alright. We'll endure it, we'll survive it. Aphmau, are you free tonight?"

Aphmau rolled around the corner, turning her head in my direction. She sat in a wheelchair, covered in bandages and casts. She rolled over to me, giving me a look of confusion.

"What?"

"Uh, my date for the pep rally kind of blew-..," I paused for a second, clearing my throat, "...me off. So, I was wondering, if you weren't doing anything tonight, maybe we could pop some Jiffy Pop and rent a video? You know, something with a happy ending..."

"Are there any happy endings?" Aphmau looked down sadly, crying a little.

"I can't promise no more Shadow Knights; high school may not ever end." I sighed, kneeling down beside her, taking her bandaged hand in mine. "Still, I miss you, I'd be honored, if you'd let me be your friend."

"My friend," she smiled back at me, with a small giggle under her breath.

"We can be seventeen. We can learn how to chill. If no one loves me now, someday somebody will," we said together, as I stood back on my feet, her hand still resting in mine. "We can be seventeen, still time to make things right. One day we'll change the world…"

I gestured Sasha to come over, and she did. With my free hand, I held hers. We looked out at our peers, giving the biggest smiles we could manage. I gestured them all to join us, as Aphmau and I continued.

"…But let's kick back tonight. Let's go be seventeen! Take off our clothes and dance," I giggled, swinging Sasha and Aphmau's hands lightly. "Act like we're all still kids, 'cause this could be our final chance!"

I noticed the spirits of Gene, Dante, and Aaron appear before me. The three of them had their hands enclosed, as they smiled at me. That was, before they disappeared again. I smiled back at them, though they were no longer present.

"Always be seventeen, celebrate you and I. Maybe we won't grow old, and maybe then we'll never die!" We all exclaimed, as everyone danced along. Sasha rested her head on my shoulder, and Aphmau gave me the warmest expression.

"Dear Diary,

"We'll make it beautiful."

forget what I said before about people never changing.

"We'll make it beautiful."

As I saw with Travis, everyone has the ability to change.

"Beautiful."

But sometimes, it's just too late...

"Beautiful."

I may have done horrible things.

"Beautiful."

I may have to forever live with guilt on my chest...

"Beautiful."

And, I will probably never have a normal life, again.

"Beautiful."

Then again, none of us are really, 'normal'.

"Beautiful."

We're all strange. Kind of, messed up, in our own ways...

"Beautiful."

And, life chooses when to be on your side, and when it wants to kick your ass repeatedly... But...

"Beautiful."

I know, I know, I know that life can still be..."

"Beautiful!"

Goodbye Travis...I'll see you again, eventually...

~~~