Ice Cream

Hey guys! I decided I'm not going to label my chapters in terms of Part 1, Part 2, etc because I like it when the story just flows. A shorter chapter today, with a little light humor. The following two chapters are going to be action packed but darker as well, but I swear I'll make up for it with humor and fluff afterwards. I'm watching The Little Mermaid 2 to research a character as I'm writing this. Anyway, here's Ice Cream:

Uma's POV

"Why did the air conditioning have to go out?!" I whined as I wiped the sweat from my brow. It was late in the evening, and Harry and I were in the library, studying for an upcoming math test. He may now be able to count, but he still struggled with numbers.

"The A/C unit was being overworked by the whole school." Harry answered without taking his eyes off of his worksheet. Honestly, how could we not overuse the air conditioning? It may have been late fall, but seasons are a foreign thing in Auradon City. It was always summer, all the time. It could be mild, windy, or stormy, but it'd still be summer. This week was one of the hottest in a while, and the A/C unit took a beating. Just our luck!

"Why is it taking so long to fix?" I asked bitterly, "Can't they just use magic?"

Harry looked up from his paper and gave me an admonishing glare. I shrugged my shoulders, and he reminded me, "Magic's been retired. They have to fix it manually."

"That's lame." I noted in a grumpy tone. I crossed my arms and slouched into my chair. It felt like a sauna, and not the relaxing kind. It was getting really uncomfortable. Harry noticed my discomfort and chuckled, "Look, I'll take you out for ice cream when we finish studying if the heat is bothering you that much, okay?"

I gave him a questioning look, and his smile faltered a little bit. He cleared his throat and asked, "You've had ice cream before, right?"

I knit my eyebrows together and shook my head. Harry paused, and then he abruptly stood from his chair and started tossing his books into his backpack, "We're leaving right now." He instructed.

"Is it really that big of a deal?" I asked in disbelief. To answer my question, he also began packing away my own things while I just sat and watched. He put his bag on his back and slung mine over one shoulder before stating, "It's a huge deal. C'mon, there's an ice cream parlor on the edge of campus."

He started walking toward the library's exit before I could argue against his plan, and I was forced to stand up as well and follow him out of the library and out of the school. Whatever ice cream is, it better be worth the trouble. I thought.

We walked through the warm night and quickly got to our destination, a small building with a big blue sign which read Elsa's Ice Cream Castle. It was a cozy–air conditioned–joint with an icy color scheme of white, silver, and light blue. Fake ice crystals hung from the ceiling and gave the room its lighting, and the tables were made of a sleek plastic that had a frosted appearance. Surprisingly, business was slow on this hot evening, and the place was empty except for myself, Harry, and a moving mini snow cloud behind the counter? We walked over to the cash register, and I discovered that under the flurry was a living snowman. A living snowman!

"Hello!" The snowman cheered, startling me and making me jump back in surprise. Harry caught my shoulders so I didn't fall backwards. The snowman continued in a jovial and spirited manner, "Welcome to The Amazing Queen Elsa's Ice Cream Castle of Cold Deliciousness!"–A bit of an exaggerated name, I thought–"My name is Olaf, and I like warm hugs!"

He jumped onto the counter and stretched his stick arms upward with a grand smile. I gave him a skeptical look, but he just stood there, patiently waiting for a hug. To kill the awkward silence that ensued, Harry laughed halfheartedly and inquired the snowman, "What are your recommendations?"