Swords and Shields Championship

Heya! I do not have any visuals for today's chappy! Also, I discovered a plot hole of my own making while watching Descendants 2. The order for arcs in this story I was going with was Swords and Shields Finals, semester/winter break, Cotillion. However, in the movie, swords and shields practices were still taking place at the same time as Cotillion, so I'm coming up with a creative way to stick to the canon. My bad! Anyway, going into this chapter I had no idea how it was going to start or end, but I think ya'll will like the ending ;)

Uma's POV

Friday Morning. The sun was shining, I woke up naturally, and my first class of the day didn't start until nine. What else could make today so special? Oh yeah, Auradon Prep was in the United States of Auradon High School Swords and Shields Championship! And I was actually excited!

I was sitting outside in the courtyard with a granola bar and a cup of coffee, scrolling mindlessly through various forms of royal media as my mind gradually woke up. Despite the warm weather, I was wearing Harry's letterman jacket overtop of an Auradon Prep spirit tank top I bought for today especially. The reason for the jacket wasn't just to support the team–and the jacket's rightful owner, Harry–for the match later.

To recap what happened earlier that week, Harry got idiotically drunk, became a little too handsy, and ended up giving me a hickey. The bruise on my neck hadn't vanished after the first five succeeding days. Gil told me that it would take one or two weeks to fade completely, but I was hoping he was joking and it would be gone after a couple days. I mean, how hard did Harry actually bite me? Anyway, Gil tried to teach me how to cover it up, but makeup was a messy hassle. Instead, I used Gil's other tip of wearing the letterman jacket to keep the hickey a secret from the rest of the school...and Harry.

I haven't even told him about it. After realizing he has no recollection of that night's events, I told him he passed out after two pints and nothing happened. I didn't want him worrying about something like a drunk bar fight when he was already worrying about the J.A.F.A.R. Program scouts at his practices in addition to the championships. Also, showing him the mark would bring up a topic I've been avoiding for almost a week.

"Athletes usually give their girlfriends their jackets." Jane's words rang in my head as I took a sip of my bitter coffee. Wearing the jacket all week to cover up the result of Harry's booze trip didn't help the floating assumption that I was Harry's girlfriend. It was a lose-lose situation, and it was all Harry's fault. He just doesn't know it yet.

My biggest problem wasn't that people would be thinking of me as Harry's girlfriend, though that issue still lingered in the back of my mind. The most prominent issue in my opinion was whether or not Harry knew what the jacket meant. He originally gave it to me because I was freezing cold after falling into the ocean, and he let me keep it in exchange for a hoodie. Then again, he asked me specifically to wear it to the Swords and Shields Semi-Finals. Not talking about it was making me feel awkward, but asking him might make it awkward for both of us. Life on the Isle was easier. No dating, just gang activity.

I was shaken from my thoughts when the bell rang, telling me to head to class. I stood up to begin the trek to home room when the devil I just so happened to be stressing about strolled up beside me.

"Good Morning, Captain!" He cheered as he walked in step with me. He was already wearing his R.O.A.R. uniform top, a tradition every player on the team partook in on match day. He was sporting a casual smirk and the thick rim of guyliner he wore for every battle. I gave him a small grin in greeting, and he went on, "I see you're wearing my jacket again."

"Oh, yeah." I chuckled nervously. Either he was reading my thoughts or I had terrible luck with topics of conversation. I punched him playfully in his inked shoulder and said, "Just so pumped for the championship!" I added enthusiastically.