III

John took Peggy's hand and gently took her into the crowd of dancing couples. He guided her through the crowds and ended up in the center of everyone, the song had already started playing. Peggy knew the song instantly; Head Over Heels, Stop Motion Poetry.

John grabbed Peggy's left hand in his right and out his left hand on her waist. Peggy was impressed he got that far. John didn't seem like a dancing type at all. He sure as hell didn't look like it either.

John glided with Peggy around the dance floor. He spun her around gracefully and made her look like Cinderella during her ball. Peggy felt like she was the center of attention for once- and that's because she was.

Within a minute of dancing, Peggy noticed everyone stopped and was circling around Peggy and John. Watching them, smiling, recording the dance. John knew exactly what e was doing, and he knew just how to make Peggy look like she was doing better than he was.

"Surprised?" John asked. "So am I."
"Surprised you can dance?" Peggy asked.
"No. I knew I could dance," John laughed. "Surprised you gave me a chance to show you."
"Why wouldn't I?" Peggy asked.
"You sure seemed that you didn't want to dance with me. Plus, you're a rich girl. I'm just... John," John remarked, Peggy's eyes widened.
"I can relate. I'm always known as 'And Peggy.' Just an 'add on' to Eliza and Angelica," Peggy sighed.
"You don't seem like it. Seems to me, you're the center of attention," He smiled, considering she was.
Peggy smiled at the ground. "This is a first."

John heard the song begin to fade out, so he spun Peggy once more and bowed to her, thanking her for the dance. Peggy slightly lifted up her dress and bowed, and John walked away.

After the dance floor cleared of people slow dancing, Angelica and Eliza ran to Peggy and dragged her away.

"What the hell was that?" Angelica whisper-shouted.
"He... He asked to dance. I said yes-"
"You were the compete center of attention. Angel and I were dancing our hearts out, and everyone was focused on you and the poor boy!" Eliza shouted. "Do you know what people will think? A Schuyler with a poor  man that works at a clothing store? It will drive our family name into the ground."

Peggy's eyes widened from hearing her sisters stupidity. "Guys... It was ONE dance. We're not getting married."
"One dance turns into one date, one date turns into seven more, turns into dating, turns into marriage. You're slowly ruining this family," Angelica snapped, and with that, she stormed off to where Laf, Alexander, and John were. Eliza followed, causing John to look over and make eye contact.

Peggy's heart broke. She could never have fun without destroying her family's name. She looked at the ground, sighed, and left the ballroom.

She walked through the hallways and rooms in the mansion until she walked outside into the backyard. She leaned on the railing and stared out into the frozen lake view located behind the mansion. A mansion on the lake, how could it get any better?

"Gorgeous view," a voice said.

Peggy looked behind her, John was peeking out. She looked at him, then back at the lake. John came to her side and joined in the view.

"I come here to be alone. My sisters never bothered to take in the beautiful view of the lake. Only me. They're too busy on Instagram and Snapchat or whatever. They never... appreciate anything." Peggy sighed, John laughed. Peggy looked over and raised an eyebrow.

"I wasn't talking about the lake."

Peggy felt her cheeks get hot, so she looked off into the distance. She saw John still staring and smiling out of the corner of her eyes, until he finally went back to looking at the sun setting over the lake- a very late sunset, especially for Winter.

Peggy held her arms and rubbed them to try and keep warm. John unbuttoned his white jacket and walked over and placed it over Peggy. Peggy smiled, looked over, and gave him a smile for older.

"Why are you so nice to me?" She asked. "I was a total bitch to you when we met. But, you just.., Kept trying. You're so nice to me- and you barley know me."

"I know that you're neglected. I know that your sisters always get the attention. It sucks being the youngest. It really does. But, you've managed to stand out the most to me out of your entire family, just by being you." John explained, Peggy looked back at the sunset. "If I had a little bit more money to my name, your sisters would have been flattered to dance with me. Because I'm a romantic. I know that I don't have money, and that's frowned upon. I'm just trying to live on my own- and it's a rough start. But you've managed to give me the time of day- just by dancing with me. That shows me you're nothing like your sisters."

Peggy hated to admit it, but he was right. If John had money, Angelica and Eliza would be pushing for her to date John, rather than belittling him. Peggy stayed quiet, she had no words. John smiled at her once again, then looked back at the view.

"A heart of gold can be hidden under a poor coat," John finished, causing Peggy to turn and face him finally.

"Why are you so obsessed with me?" She snapped. "Is it the money? The Schuyler money? Is it-"
"Have your sisters really brainwashed you into thinking every man that comes your way just wants your money?" John interrupted. "Money isn't everything. Sure, it's nice, but sometimes- kindness and caring gets you farther than having money. Maybe you should try being kind to people that are kind to you, rather than bashing them for having less than you do."

John reached over and snatched his jacket away from Peggy, and put it back on. He buttoned it up, gave Peggy one final glare, and began to walk off.
"John!" Peggy shouted as John entered the house. He stopped, turned, and faced her.
"What, princess?" He snapped.
"I... I'm sorry," Peggy sighed, and for once, she meant it.
John laughed. "Me too."

And with that, he walked inside back to the ballroom, said goodbye to Mr. Schuyler, and left.