VI

After John and Peggy's dive into the ocean, they swam around for what felt like a life time. Peggy found herself actually enjoying spending time with John Laurens, and a better times she's ever had with her sisters. John helped Peggy out and gave her his towel, and they relaxed on the beach for a bit.

The rest of their beach time lasted an hour, and before they knew it, it was seven in the morning. John lead Peggy out of the beach area and back into his truck, and drove her around the city while Khalid played off of the aux cord. The last thing on Peggy's mind was her responsibilities at home, and her sisters. Her mind was occupied with the thought of how sexy John looked in boxers.

Peggy only ever had feelings for rich boys that come from nice homes, so she told herself over and over again she would not fall for John Laurens. ESPECIALLY after one day of hanging out. But no matter how many times she tried to deny it, in her heart she felt something. Maybe it was romance, maybe it was lust. Or maybe it was just the idea of her feeling wanted.

As the drive continued on, Peggy's thoughts preoccupied her mind and before she knew it, John had pulled up into a small building with 'Mary-Anne's Diner' across the doors in big bold letters. She raised an eyebrow, John had only said hiking. Nothing about breakfast.

"You hungry?" He asked while he unbuckled his seat belt.
"John, I-I'm not really, dressed appropriately," Peggy whispered.
"It's a diner, Peggy. There won't be any models or actors in there. Probably just single moms with seven kids or Harvey Davidson drivers inside." John laughed at his own remark, Peggy just rolled her eyes.
"If I see one person I know, i'm out." She said while unbuckling herself.
"Hey- you promised me you wouldn't complain today," John smirked.
Peggy sighed. "You're right, you're right. Let's eat."

John smiled as he hopped out the truck, Peggy following. John held the door open for her as she headed inside and took in the few. Peggy admired the lit up wall decorations and signs all around the area while John got them a booth.

When they got to their booth, Peggy was almost flabbergasted by the sights. Nobody gave her a weird look for wearing no makeup and having soaking wet hair and messy clothes, and she liked it.

"Peggy?" John asked, snapping Peggy out of her trance.
"Hm?" She asked, John laughed.
"I said what do you want to drink?" John repeated.
Peggy smirked. "Surprise me."

Minutes later, a waitress came by and took their order. John and Peggy actually got to know each other, but it was mainly Peggy who talked. John just listened. About an hour passed, John paid, and he escorted Peggy back to the truck.

As they drove around, neither of them talked much. Peggy could see John look at her and smile out of the corner of her eye, and she didn't know how she felt about it. She kept an eye on the clock, she wanted to be home by one- she didn't want Eliza or Angelica to freak out when they realized who she was with.

"Peggy- I have an idea." John said without looking off the road.
"And what might that be?" Peggy giggled, which made John laugh.
"How about, we go on an adventure?" John asked with that same smile on his face.
"An adventure?" Peggy asked. "I'd love to, but-"
"No buts. How about, we pack up clothes and whatever we need, and we just... Drive. You know? Drive around New York and visits places we've never been through, and-" John stopped himself.

Peggy watched as John's smile faded. He didn't say anything or even look at Peggy, he just kept driving.

"How about I take you home?" He asked, Peggy raised an eyebrow.
"What were you saying before?" Peggy asked, he said nothing. "But, um, yeah-that's fine."

John still said nothing. He turned the other direction towards the Schuyler mansion, turned up the radio, and continued driving. Peggy said nothing for the majority of the ride, but she couldn't get more than five words out of John at a time.

Soon enough, John pulled up outside and turned down the radio. He sighed and leaned on his seat and slightly smiled at Peggy. She unbuckled her seatbelt, sighed, smiled- then looked back at him.

"I had an, amazing time today. I've never had so much fun with someone," Peggy started.
"I'm glad you had fun. I'd love to, um... I'm just glad you had fun," John stuttered.
"John I'd love to do this again," Peggy continued for him. She watched John's cheeks become pink and he smiled.
"You have my number right?" John asked.
"I have it saved," Peggy responded.
"Okay. Call me when you want to do something again," John replied.
Peggy popped open her door. And reached over and hugged John tightly for a moment. Her heart wanted more, but her brain told her not to. She thanked John again, got out of the truck, and went back inside.

John didn't leave until he saw Peggy get inside safely. She heard his truck drive off as she shut the front door shut. She sighed out loud and smiled, she never thought she'd have so much fun with John in her life. But her thoughts were interrupted by footsteps rushing into the room- Angelica and Eliza.

"Where the hell have you been?" Angelica hollered.
Peggy smiled. "Just, out. Went to get breakfast with a friend."
"Was that friend that Laurens guy?" Eliza asked.
"Yes, as a matter of fact it was," Peggy remarked.

She didn't know what came over her. If it was a rush of energy or a rush of confidence. But she slightly pushed her sisters aside and headed for the staircase, when she stopped and faced them.

"I don't want to hear one word about how he's poor and i'm a rich girl. He has a rich personality and he makes me happy. Isn't that all that matters?"

Angelica and Eliza shared a look before crossing their arms and facing Peggy again.

"Rich girls do not date poor boys."
"Don't judge appearances, his rich heart is hidden under a poor coat."

And with that, she left her sisters flabbergasted. She turned back around, headed up the stairs, and into her room, to text John Laurens.