IX

Dinner went on for about an hour and a half, my parents seemed to take a good interest in John- especially my mother. My dad mostly just agreed with whatever my mom said and asked John some questions about his dad and the military and what not, not that John knew much in the first place.

My sisters on the other hand were almost dead silent. They wrote notes to each other on a napkin considering we weren't allowed to use our phones at the table. The booked it upstairs as soon as dinner was finished and didn't bother staying for desert. Which frankly was fine with me- I didn't want them there any more than they wanted to be there.

Just at the two hour mark, my parents began to help clean up and John and I finished up our conversation. There was just something about him that made the conversation run on and on for what seemed like hours. Getting lost in his words and his perception and anything we talked about made me feel like I was floating. Like nobody else was there and nobody else mattered. And in that moment- nothing else did matter. 

About thirty minutes of us talking about anything and everything, John said he had to go. He stood up, and I stood up after him, and we walked out of the dining area. He thanked my parents and said he'd love to do it again, and that he hoped they had a good night. I followed him outside, down the stairs and the walkway, and out to his truck that was parked outside. 

"I really appreciate everything you did for me tonight," I said as he reached his truck.
"I didn't do anything," John laughed.
"You did something I could have never done," I continued. "You stood up to my sisters."
"Yeah, that definitely earned me some points with your family." He laughed, and just hearing his laugh, made me laugh.

I caught John staring at me. Flipping between staring at my eyes or my lips. He seemed to daze off, not saying anything but just staring. 

"You good?" I finally asked, he seemed to snap out of it. 
He paused, then smiled. "You're just beautiful."

I felt my cheeks get hot and turn red as I looked away and playfully rolled my eyes. I laughed it off and pushed my hair out of my face and looked back at him, and he remained staring.

"I really hope you still don't think I'm anything like your sisters say I am," John said.
"Of course not," I replied. "I think your heart has good intentions, especially with me."
"I don't think you understand my intentions yet," John winked.
"Oh yeah? So, what are your intentions exactly?" I smiled.
John laughed. "How about you let me find out tomorrow?"
"And what exactly are you proposing?" I asked while crossing my arms over my chest.
"Tomorrow, how about you get ready by twelve and I take you on a second date, and let me prove my intentions," John responded.
"I think I'd like that."
"Then it's a date."

John and I stood there for a minute staring at each other. I could feel his stare at my lips without even looking towards where his eyes were actually dazing on. But it didn't matter. I wanted him and he wanted me. I wanted the warmth of his lips on mine, but before I could do anything, he grabbed my face and pulled me towards him, and smacked his lips onto mine.

I don't know how long it lasted. We just stood there feeling each other; smooth as hungry and soft as a baby's skin. He pulled away and we both started smiling and laughing, before he kissed me again. We finally said goodbye, and I headed back inside. Both of my parents were upstairs most likely changing, and I decided to do the same. 

I headed upstairs, my heels clicking against the tiles, until I reached the second floor, I passed Eliza's room but it was dead silent, my parents room from across the hall had the TV going. And as I reached my bedroom, I heard soft yelling coming from Angelica's room.I couldn't help but listen in. I tossed my heels inside my room and shut the door so they'd think I was inside, and hurried to Angelica's slightly opened bedroom door and began listening in.

"-It'll work you just have to give it time!" Angelica's voice came in.
"Angelica you're forcing it. We should just leave it alone," Eliza's soft voice chimed. 
"Do you WANT this shame brought on us? She won't look stupid, we'll ALL look stupid because of her.  If we at least try and stop it before it gets anywhere, we won't look stupid like her and mom," Angelica rambled on. 
"Angelica I just... I don't want to be involved in this shit anymore. It's too much stress, okay? Just let it be," Eliza replied.
"If you want to be stupid, that's your choice. I'm not going to look like the family that gave up wealth and riches because of one stupid girl falling for a boy who wants her money!" Angelica exclaimed.
"He doesn't want her money Angel. He has his own money and you know it," Eliza replied.
"He wants more. Just think clearly for a minute," Angel started.
"Angel, I'm done," Eliza said. 

I pushed myself away from the door and started heading over to my room and hurried inside, shutting the door as quickly and quietly as possible. I leaned against the door as I heard footsteps exit and walk down the hallway out of Angelica's room. 

I sighed and started thinking about everything I heard. Money, stress, and planning. My head began to spin and turn before I realized I needed to rest, and that tomorrow there would be plenty to talk about.