Two | one summer evening

Later that evening, nearing dusk, Jerry was forking hay to the livestock when Anne Shirley-Cuthbert came in to say hello to Belle and her other friends

The Cuthbert family was in a much better place than they had been two years ago. Six months after paying off their mortgage and a little mishap with their boarders, Gilbert Blythe had come home. Together he, Jerry, and Mathew Cuthbert got the Green Gables farm up and running again. They had also got the Blythe farm in working order, though Gilbert was only doing small scale farming, enough to sustain him while he was in school. According to Anne he did not plan on staying a farmer.

Hello, Jerry," said fifteen-year-old Anne, heading straight for Belle's stall.

Jerry, who was apparently lost in thought as he forked hay into a empty stall, didn't reply.

Anne paused in her step, freckled-face wrinkled up in confusion as she frowned at Jerry at the boy.

"Jerry?" she said questioningly. When he didn't reply Anne said much louder, "Jerry Baynard!"

Jerry jumped and looked around. A pile of hay went soaring over Anne's head. Anne frowned at him as she reached up to pluck pieces of dried grass out of her red hair.

"Anne! I didn't hear you come in," said Jerry. He noted the grass in her hair. "Sorry about the hay."

"I suppose I'll forgive you," said Anne with a small smile. "Now what had you in a quandary?"

Jerry paused, pitchfork in hand, and frowned at her. "Huh?"

Anne rolled her eyes in exasperation. "What are you thinking about, Jerry?"

"Oh." Jerry shrugged. "Nothing, really."

"Fascinating,"said Anne.

She crossed the barn to Belle's stall. The mare was already hanging her head out to greet the girl.

"Where were you?" asked Jerry, returning to forking hay.

Anne didn't look at him as she said, "I was down at the Blythe farm." She was clearly trying to sound nonchalant, and was failing miserably.

"Ah," said Jerry, grinning. "I see."

Something in Jerry's tone of voice made Anne look over her shoulder and glare at him. Anne opened her mouth to say something, then seemed to change her mind.

Anne started to talk to Belle.

"How was your day, Belle?" Anne asked the horse. Jerry barely heard her. He was more than used to Anne attempting to converse with animals. "Mine was quite lovely," Anne continued. "I helped Marilla in the kitchen this morning. I am getting quite good at baking. I didn't even burn the pie! It was close though. I was pretending I was a fairy in the forest. When my forest home caught fire and I was forced to evacuate I suddenly remembered that might become a reality if I didn't tend to the baking at hand. It was terribly hot in that kitchen so I was quite relieved to get outdoors. These last days of summer are so very precious and I am trying to enjoy every last minute of it. Me and Gil — I mean I went down by Barry's pond and picked flowers. They are blooming so luxuriously at this time of year. Gil — I mean someone — "

"I saw Diana and Ruby in town today."

Anne turned on Jerry with her hands on her hips. "Jerry! What have I told you about interrupting conversations between Belle and I?"

"Sorry," said Jerry quickly. "Sorry."

Anne sighed. "Never mind. It's done. What did you say about Diana and Ruby?"

"I saw them in town," repeated Jerry. "I don't think Miss Ruby likes me."

Anne pulled herself up onto Belle's stall
door and perched there facing Jerry.
"Why do you say that?"

He shook his head at Anne. "She did not speak to me. She only said hello because Diana made her. Diana is very nice to me."

Anne glowed happily. "Diana is nice to everyone. She's such a dear. I am eternity grateful to have a bosom friend like her." Anne added, "I wouldn't worry about Ruby. She'll come around."

Jerry looked doubtful. "I'm not so sure. We've known each other for two years."

"But you don't know each other well," said Anne. "Besides, though I love Ruby with all my heart I will admit, she had a tendency to follow the crowd. When I first came to Avonlea she didn't like me either. Then she came to stay here for a week and now we are wonderful friends. Not bosom friends, but she is my closest companion after Diana."

"But that's you, Anne," said Jerry. "Everyone likes you eventually — once they get over how weird you are."

Anne frowned at him. "I don't know wether that was a compliment or an insult."

Jerry laughed. "I do not either."

"Anyway," said Anne, "Do you like Ruby?"

"What? No!" He accidentally flung another flake of hay into the air. "Of course not!"

Anne grinned at him. "She is very pretty."

Jerry shook his head at Anne. "I do not like her, Anne. Ruby Gillis is annoying. Besides, she would never like a hired hand like me."

"But it would be so romantic!" said Anne. "Elegant young lady falls for the poor, dirty —"

Jerry stopped his work to give Anne a look.

"Oh, sorry," said Anne with an abashed little grin. "How about Diana? Do you like Diana?"

"No," said Jerry, a little too quickly.

Anne's smile grew into a grin."You do! I can tell!"

"I do not!" protested Jerry.

"Just admit it, Jerry!"

"I'll admit I like Diana if you admit you like Gilbert," said Jerry.

That wiped the grin off Anne's face. She folded her arms over her chest and said haughtily, "I'll never admit that because it simply isn't true!"

Jerry smirked. "Sure . . . "

"It's true, Jerry!" insisted Anne. "I haven't any feelings for Gilbert in the slightest!"

"And your hair isn't red," said Jerry.

Anne hopped off the stall.

"Goodnight, Jerry," said Anne haughtily. "I've seen more than enough of you."

"The feeling is mutual," Jerry called as the redhead stalked out of the barn.