Three | the assignment

The last few days of summer passed by in what seemed like no time at all

The last few days of summer passed by in what seemed like no time at all. Soon it was time for school again. Mr.Phillips had been fired that spring due to various reasons and all of the Avonlea school were eager to see who their new teacher would be. It turned out to be a young woman by the name of Miss.Stacey.

A few weeks after school began, the new teacher was beaming across the classroom at her rows of students. She had an enthusiasm for her job which was quite unsettling for a class who was used to Mr. Phillips dull ways of teaching.

"So," said Miss. Stacey, clapping her hands together. "I have a new and exciting assignment for you all."

Josie and Ruby, who always shared a desk together, exchanged a look. Josie rolled her eyes. Ruby liked the new teacher but sometimes she tried to hard to get them excited about things that just weren't exciting — like geometry, or assignments, for instance.

Ahead of Ruby and Josie, Anne Shirley-Cuthbert straightened eagerly in her seat.

"It would be that orphan girl who'd get excited about a school assignment," said Josie scathingly.

"Her name is Anne," said Ruby a tiny bit reproachful. "And you know that, Josie."

"Doesn't mean I have to use it," said Josie with a toss of her blonde hair.

Ruby gave a little sigh. It was hard for Ruby being friends with both Josie and Anne when the two got on so terribly. But Ruby couldn't sacrifice either one for the other. She knew Josie could be mean sometimes, but she was always kind to Ruby and they'd been friends for years. And though Anne was odd, Ruby had come to love her as much as any of her friends.

Ruby glanced across the schoolroom to where the boys were seated. Gilbert Blythe was sitting in the seat beside Charlie Sloane. He listened to Miss. Stacey with a eager expression. Gilbert was studying to be a teacher and then, with time, a doctor so he always payed great attention in class. There was only one person in the whole school who could distract him from his studies, and he was glanced at her now. As if sending Gilbert's eyes on her, Anne looked over over at him, then quickly turned away, her ears burning red. That single glance seemed enough for Gilbert. He stared at her only a second longer before sitting back in his seat with a contented grin on his face.

Ruby gave another little sigh as she looked away from the dark-haired boy, her heart aching just a little bit. Gilbert and Anne were perfect for each other. Anyone could see it. Ruby tried not to feel bitter. After all, five years was far to long to pining after one boy. Especially when there were plenty of other fish in the sea.

"Quiet down please," called Miss. Stacey over the murmurs of the Avonlea students. "I am glad you are all excited, but you don't even know what it is yet!" Once the noise had died down their teacher continued. "Your assignment will be an exploration of the different types of people who make up the community of Avonlea and Prince Edwards Island.