Eleven | Anne's vow

"I have an announcement!" Ms

"I have an announcement!" Ms. Stacey declared to the class on Friday morning.

"Another one?" Josie whispered to Ruby, rolling her eyes.

No one else in the class anymore enthused by this declaration than Josie. They were still working on their essays and were not quite ready for another one of Ms. Stacey's "announcements", although Anne did her very best to look excited for the benefit of her beloved teacher.

"I have just been informed," said Ms. Stacey that the town will be hosting a dance next month at the town hall —"

Ruby let out a small squeal of delight. She was not alone. All across the classroom there was a spattering of excited exclamations, mingled with a few groans as well. Anne was positively beaming at the prospect. "My first dance!" she whispered loudly to Diana.

Ms. Stacey smiled at the class. "Well, that was certainly a more enthusiastic reaction then I usually get from this class. As I was saying, yes, there will be a dance in town. It will not be required for you to attend, and more than likely some of your parents will not wish you to. It is debatable whether dances are appropriate for children your age. I personally think they are. An exciting night of lively fun and brisk dancing never hurt anyone, in fact I think it will be quite invigorating for you all — especially as we are nearing the colder months and such events will be held less frequently."

Ruby raised her hand into the air.

"Yes, Ruby?" asked Ms. Stacey. She was clearly surprised as Ruby never asked questions in class.

"Will there be partners?" asked Ruby.

"If you wish to bring a partner, you certainly may," said Ms. Stacey. "However it is not required and there is nothing to be ashamed of if you go alone. I myself will be going alone."

At the news of partners, a exchange of shy and eager glances passed between the two rows of students. Gilbert Blythe seemed to develop a sudden twitch in his neck in the direction of Anne Shirley. Ruby's excitement dimmed as she saw the hopeful expression on the boy's face and realized he wanted to ask Anne to be his partner.

The dance was all anyone could talk about for the rest of the day. The lunch corner was especially giggly that afternoon, and the boys not quite as rambunctious as usual.

As the girls chattered about who would ask who, which girls would end up going alone, and which boy they wanted to go with, Ruby suddenly noticed how quiet Anne was and that she was sitting in an extremely awkward and uncomfortable position. Her body was facing the window, through which the boys could be seen fooling around, but she had her neck turned to the side, refusing to look out the window.

"Anne, what are you doing?" asked Ruby, perplexed.

"Nothing," said Anne quickly, but she still didn't face the window.