Seventeen | Ruby Gillis, Gilbert Blythe & several big mistakes

When Ruby told her parents that night that she would be attending the town dance with Jerry Baynard she expected them to be embarrassed — ashamed, even. But it was quite the contrary. The Gillis's were kind people and they held no disdain towards Jerry for being a hired boy. Mrs. Gillis immediately began discussing what Ruby would like to wear to the event.

"Mothers been meaning to make me a new dress anyway since I'm outgrowing the ones I already own," Ruby told the other girls at lunch. "She has a lovely white fabric with little white flowers on it, and pink for a sash!"

"Will it have puffed sleeves?" asked Anne dreamily.

"The puffiest!" said Ruby with a giggle. "I am so excited! I can't wait to go to the dance!"

Through Ruby's chatter, Josie had been chewing slowly while scrutinizing her friend. "Ruby, who are you going with?"

All the girls turned to stare at Ruby. Anne and Diana tensed, for they knew who Ruby was going with and were uncertain how Ruby would handle this situation.

"Wh-what?" stammered Ruby, suddenly flushed.

"Who are you going to the dance with," repeated Josie. "Surely you aren't going alone!"

"Well, no —"

"Then who?" asked Tillie eagerly.

Ruby glanced desperately at Anne and Diana.

"Tell her, Ruby," said Anne, nudging the girl.

"Jerry," said Ruby, looking at the floor. "I'm going with Jerry Baynard."

There was complete silence except for the sound of students playing out in the schoolyard.

"You have got to be joking," said Josie in a quiet voice, staring at her friend.

Ruby shook her head miserably.

"But what will he wear?" demanded Josie. "He probably only owns one pair of clothing!"

Ruby looked up quickly. "I'm sure he'll look handsome enough in what he usually wears." Realizing what she'd said, Ruby blushed harder than she'd ever blushed in her life. "What I mean," she amended quickly. "Is that—"

"Ruby's right," said Anne. "Jerry will look just fine as he is. I myself will help him get ready—"

Josie snorted. "The orphan getting the hired boy ready for a dance — this is something I have to see!" She turned to Ruby and shook her head. "I really can't believe you like a hired boy! Aaron Gray clearly likes you! Why aren't you going with him?"

"H-he never asked," stammered Ruby.

The bell rang signaling the end of the lunch. The girls hastened to collect their things and head back to their seats. As they went, Ruby caught Aaron Gray's eye. He grinned at her. Ruby looked away quickly. What if he did ask her to the dance? Ruby couldn't say yes. She didn't want to say yes.

Ruby took her seat next to Josie. The other girl scooted several inches away. Ruby stared at Josie with a betrayed and hurt expression, but Josie only ignored her. Ruby always considered Josie to be one of her best friends, but now it seemed the other girl was turning on her. Ruby felt tears gathering in her eyes and tried to blink them away.

When lessons had finished and Ruby was on her way home, she was accosted by Aaron Gray asking if he might walk her home.

Images of him asking her to the dance and her having to refuse him flashed through her mind. She opened her mouth to say no, not wanting to lead him on, but then saw Josie staring at them from across the schoolyard. Ruby swallowed. Maybe if she walked with Aaron, Josie would forget all about her and Jerry until the dance. This could be the perfect cover up. "Yes. Thank you, Mr. Gray."