Nineteen | in preparation of the dance

"I keep telling her to try and talk to him, but she says it's no use. She insists he will never forgive her and that she doesn't deserve his forgiveness in the first place."

Anne had been assigned to clean off the blackboards after class Monday afternoon. Gilbert, who wanted a chance to talk to her about the Ruby and Jerry mess, offered to help. Reluctantly Anne agreed.

"I shouldn't have said anything," said Gilbert as he hit the blackboard cleaner against the wall to get off the excess chalk."I can't help but feel this is my fault."

"It's not," said Anne. "Ruby would've had to admit the whole thing to Jerry in any case — and you know I would tell you if it were your fault."

Gilbert gave a small laugh. "I have no doubts about that."

Anne gave a small smile back, but then she became aware of how intently Gilbert was looking at her and she hastily cleared her throat looked away. They returned to cleaning off the blackboard.

"I wish there was something I could do to help," said Gilbert.

"I expect it will work itself out in the end," said Anne. "It's just a misunderstanding."

"Misunderstandings can happen," said Gilbert. He glanced at Anne. "Quite frequently as a matter of fact."

Hearing the meaningfulness hinted in his voice, Anne couldn't help but glance at the boy. She found him staring at her again.

"Anne-" he started.

"Shirley! Blythe!" barked Mr. Phillips.

The two students jumped. Mr. Phillips was standing behind him with his arms crossed over his chest. "Aren't you done yet? One student could do it faster than the pair of you."

"Sorry, sir," said Anne hastily. She looked at Gilbert as Mr. Phillips walked away. "I can finish this on my own. Thank you for your help."

"Are you sure?" asked Gilbert. "I'm more than happy too—"

"I'm certain you are," said Anne. "But I'm sure."

Gilbert sighed. "Alright."

Anne breathed a sigh of relief as the boy walked away. She knew it had been a bad idea to allow him to help her. But she also knew that Gilbert was sincerely worried about Ruby and Jerry so she would've had to speak to him at some point or another. Next time I will direct him to Diana for information, Anne thought.

It wasn't that Anne wanted to hate Gilbert Blythe. It was just something that had happened. Admittedly they hadn't gotten off to a good start (what with her hitting him over the head with her slate and all) but from their meeting on it seemed there was always something getting in the way of them having a good relationship. Although Anne would never admit it, it had a great deal to do with her sense of pride. Befriending the boy who had caused her so much humiliation would be a stain upon her honor.

Sometimes (very rarely) Anne allowed herself to wonder what it would be like to be friends with Gilbert. They were both academic and determined. Anne had a hunch that he weren't the boy who had pulled her hair and called her carrots they might've got along quite nicely.

They'd even become more friendly over the summer. Anne's mind wandered back to a certain walk by The Lake of Shining Waters one evening. It felt like that had been years and years ago.