Eight | Ruby's hero

"Anne! Wait up!" Ruby came hurrying after Anne as they left the school house Tuesday afternoon

Anne looked around in surprise at her friend. "Is something wrong, Ruby?"

"I thought we could walk together." Ruby caught up with Anne.

"But Ruby, you live in that direction," said Anne, pointing in a direction different from the path she took to and fro school.

"But I'm going to help Jerry, remember?" said Ruby. She'd walked with Anne to Green Gables yesterday and was surprised that Anne had forgotten Ruby's daily arrangement to meet with Jerry and help him around the farm.

"Didn't he tell you?" said Anne. "There's a new family that's moving not too far from Green Gables. Jerry and Mathew are going down to help them clear the land where they are going to build their house. Most of the men in town are going. Marilla wants me to go along and bring some food and water. I certainly believe I could cut down a tree as well as anyone, but Marilla forbade me from trying any such thing. You could come along, if you'd like."

They were now walking  a long stretch of field not far from the school house.

"Will Gilbert be there?" asked Ruby.

Anne's lips twitched in irritation. "Unfortunately."

"Then I'll come," said Ruby decidedly.

Anne burst out, "I really don't know what you see in him, Ruby."

"Gilbert? He's so handsome," said Ruby dreamily. "But I thought you and Gilbert were friends now? You talk sometimes."

Anne folded her arms over her chest crossly. "Yes. He's fine when he isn't being an annoying, attention seeking, know-it-all, but it's very rare that he's not. You saw how smug he was after the multiplication quiz today!"

"But Anne, you won the multiplication quiz," Ruby reminded her.

"Yes," said Anne. "But Gilbert was looking at me in a way that clearly suggested he thought he let me win, which just simply isn't true!"

"I don't think Gilbert would do something like that," said Ruby.

Ruby and Anne could rarely agree when they discussed Gilbert so Anne changed the subject.

"How have your, for lack of a better word, lessons with Jerry been?"

The two girls made a turn on to the forest path Anne took everyday. Though Ruby did not know it, it was the very path where Anne and Gilbert had first met. Though Anne tried never to think about that.

"They have been fine," said Ruby rather hesitantly.

She'd had three days of lessons so far. And, with the exception of the milking disaster, it hadn't been as awful as she anticipated.