Ten | a good hired hand

When Ruby greeted Jerry with a polite "hello" next morning, the day after the incident at the Gray farm, he couldn't have been more surprised if Anne had suddenly declared an undying love for Gilbert Blythe

As the day went on, Jerry became aware that she was no longer treating him with the same uppity disdain as she had only yesterday. Jerry was completely baffled by her friendly chatter as they helped Mr. Cuthbert bring in the autumn crops. The reason was that after Jerry had potentially saved her life, Ruby decided it would be extremely unfair to treat him as she usually did. He might be a hired hand, but Jerry had been the one to push her out of the way of danger when no one else had. Gilbert, whom Ruby considered to be heroic in every aspect of the word, had been too busy talking to Anne to come to Ruby's assistance. Jerry Baynard seemed like an unlikely hero to Ruby, but his actions had been one of a hero and that was undeniable.

Since there were only a few more days before Ruby had to read her essay in front of the class, Jerry suggested they tackle miking again. Ruby was less than enthused at the idea, but accompanied Jerry into the barn all the same.

"It's not so hard once you get the hang of it," said Jerry as he set to the milking stool by Lillian.

Ruby sat and took hold of an udder. In her dislike of the task, Ruby's posture was lazy and not at all focused. If she wasn't careful, she would get milk all over herself again. Not wanting her to have another meltdown, Jerry quickly intervened.

He crouched down beside her, and guided her hand into the proper position. "More like this." He let go of her hand.

Ruby gave a tentative squeeze, and her face lit up when the milk hit the bottom of the pail. She looked at him in delight. "I did it!"

He got to his feet, grinning, and said, "See? It's not so hard."

Jerry watched as Ruby got into the rhythm of milking, then, once he was satisfied she had it under control, he said, "I think I hear Mr. Cuthbert's wagon. I'd better go open the gate."

He added as he he exited the stall. "You know, you'd make a good hired hand." He paused in the doorway to look back at Ruby. "And I mean that as a compliment."

Jerry walked away too soon to see the small smile that Ruby was unable to stop escaping.

When Ruby had finished with the task she felt justly proud when carrying the full pail of milk into Green Gables. As did Jerry who considered his second milking lesson to be quite the success.

As with everything in life, the more you do a thing the easier it gets, and so it was with all the farm-work Ruby assisted Jerry with. Soon it seemed no task at Green Gables went untried by Ruby Gillis — which meant, now that she had most of the education she needed, it was time to start writing her essay. The day after the milking success, Ruby sat in the Green Gables barn on a stack of hay, busy writing. Jerry was nearby doing some work on the Cuthbert's wagon wheels.

Ruby tapped her chin thoughtful with her quill as she stared down at what she had so far written. She glanced up from the paper to where Jerry was busy with the wagon wheel, hesitated, then asked, "Jerry, do you know where Anne is?"

Jerry glanced at the blonde girl from beneath his cap. "No. Why?"

"I was hoping she could help me with my essay." Ruby looked back down at her essay. "Anne's is real smart with words."

"Maybe I can help." Jerry got to his feet and approached Ruby.

She looked at him doubtfully. "But - but — you cant read!" She blurted.

"I've been learning," said Jerry.

Surprised, Ruby handed Jerry her essay. She felt rather anxious as Jerry's eyes slowly scanned the page. She did not have much confidence in her writing abilities.

As Jerry read, his lips silently formed the words, as new readers are apt to do. It took him longer than average to read the few paragraphs, but the important thing was that he had read it.

"Done," said Jerry, looking up from the parchment. There was a detectable note of pride in his voice. "What part do you need help with?"

"The last bit," said Ruby.

Jerry sat beside Ruby on the hay. They both leaned their heads in so they could get a better look at the essay.

"This part?" asked Jerry, tapping the last line.

"Yes." Ruby nodded.

Jerry read aloud. "'I see now that the life of a hi-hired boy is very busy.'"

The last line hung in the air for a moment then Jerry said, "seems fine to me."

"It's too abrupt," said Ruby fretfully. "If only Anne were here! She'd know what to write!"

"But this is your essay." Jerry looked at Ruby carefully from his brown eyes. "Don't you think you ought to write what you would write? Anne would want to put something too flowery and then your teacher would know it was her."

Ruby heaved a sigh. "I suppose that is true."

"Maybe you could try a different approach," suggested Jerry. "Like, 'the hired hands tasks . . . "

Jerry trailed off and Ruby's face lit up. "'A hired hands tasks keep him busy throughout the day!"

"That's good!" said Jerry grinning.

Ruby eagerly scribbled it down. When she finished, she looked up at Jerry who remained sitting beside her.

"How did you learn to read?" asked Ruby.

"I'm still learning," said Jerry. "But Anne taught me. She is a better teacher than you might think."

As if on cue, Anne came hurrying into the barn.

"Ruby? Oh there you are! Ruby, you're fathers come to fetch you."

Ruby hastily jumped up from her seat beside Jerry. She gathered her parchment, quill and ink, and put them in the basket she'd brought along with her.

She went to leave with Anne, but then abruptly turned to Jerry. "Thank you for your help," she said politely.

Jerry nodded. "I'll see you tomorrow."

As Anne and Ruby departed from the barn, Anne asked in a would-be casual tone,"What were you and Jerry talking about when I came in?" She glanced furtively at her friend. 

Ruby said quickly, "just my essay."

It was only the truth so Ruby knew it made no sense as to why she felt like she was trying to hide something from Anne.