Sixteen | red-faced and red-haired

Anne had been avoiding Gilbert at all costs for the last few weeks. She was terrified he might invite her to the dance, but there wasn't much she could do to evade him when he insisted on walking her home that afternoon from school (Diana made herself extremely scarce and did not walk with them).

"I suppose you've come to apologize to me," said Anne as she moodily stormed ahead of the boy, trying to out walk him.

"Actually I haven't," said Gilbert from behind her.

Anne called over her shoulder, "Then why are you following me?"

"I'm not following you," said Gilbert. "I told you, I'm walking you home."

"I don't need to be walked home, thank you very much, Mr. Blythe!" announced Anne, angrily crunching autumn leaves beneath her boots. "And also, for your information, you owe me an apology!"

"No I don't," said Gilbert.

Anne spun around to face the boy, her mouth hanging open. He regarded her calmly.

"Yes you do! You called me a coward!" said Anne. "Add that to the list of insults you've called me starting with a 'C'"

"Anne, I did not call you a coward," said Gilbert. "I merely said you were hiding, meaning —"

"Meaning that I'm a coward!" finished Anne.

"Meaning," said Gilbert, "that you were at the back of the group, which you were. That's all."

Anne snorted. "As if I'd believe that for a second, Gilbert Blythe! It's about time you learned you can't charm me into believing you."

"And it's about time you learned I have never once in my life tried to insult. You need to take things less personally," Gilbert snapped.

Anne stared at Gilbert. He winced.

"I-I'm sorry, Anne, I didn't come here to fight with you." Gilbert rubbed the back of his neck uncomfortably.

"Then why did you come here?" demanded Anne, her voice suddenly shrill. "You didn't come here to apologize. You didn't come here to fight. So why are you here?"

"Anne—"

"To try and injure my feelings?" demanded Anne. "Is that why you're here? Well I'll inform you now, Gilbert Blythe, that my will is not so easily broken by the insults of a silly school boy."

"I came here because —"

"Or do you just enjoy tormenting me? Is that it? You're such a child you can't find any other form of entertainment than annoying m—"

"Anne will you go to the dance with me?" Gilbert said loudly.

There was the distant cawing of crows and an autumn breeze whispering through the trees above as Anne and Gilbert stared at each other.

Anne's face was suddenly very red, but Gilbert wasn't sure if it was from the cold, or if she was blushing.

Gilbert felt awkward. He'd been thinking and preparing for this moment for weeks, but that had not gone at all according to plan.

Seizing the opportunity of Anne's temporary silence, Gilbert hastened to explain.

"Anne, I'm tired of our bickering. I'm sorry for any insult I've unintentionally gave you. I want to be friends, and there's no one in Avonlea I'd rather go to the dance with."

Gilbert finished and found that Anne still seemed unable to speak. "I-if you want to, of course," he said nervously.

It was another moment before Anne spoke.