Chapter 3

I faced the beautiful man, wondering why is tone suggested that he'd been almost...expecting me. He seemed amused as his gaze flickered from my dark hair to my squeaky leather boots. Trying not to seem completely terrified, I stepped forward. In front of his metal throne was an enormous, stone-floored space. Tall windows lined the dark walls, and sharp metallic chandeliers hung from the ceiling.

"Are you the King of this land?" I asked the man, approaching him slowly.

He chuckled darkly. "Well, let's see. I sit upon a throne, I wear a crown, I live in a castle...what do you think?"

The tips of his mouth curled up ever so slightly, but did not reveal any of his teeth. His face was sharp and pale, but his eyes glossy and dark...warm, almost.

"So you are the King of the Kingdom of Land?" I confirmed.

The man let out a long, annoyed sigh. "Must we keep reviewing this, or are you simply teasing me?"

"Only confirming my information." I reached down to my pocket, lightly touching the dagger sheathed at my side.

"What are you here for, and...," he said, pausing as his nose turned up just slightly. "What are you? You smell of the sea."

I felt a bit offended. "I'll have you know," I began, my voice an irritated scoff, "That I have been sent my Triton himself from the Kingdom of the Sea to save our people. We have been overthrown by an evil sorcerer named Lord Goridian, and I seek the help of someone...in particular."

"Ah, and would this person be me?" the King asked.

I steadied my gaze. "That depends."

"On what?" he asked, standing and leaving his thrown. He strode towards me, his long legs propelling him forward. He was tall, and somewhat built, towering over me. I was immediately more intimidated when he stood so close.

Taking a deep breath, I let my stare level until we were locked into eye contact. He really was one of the best looking people I'd ever seen in my life.

"Who are your parents?" I asked.

The man held up a finger, the corners of his mouth flinching ever so slightly.

"I am a King, but I'll be generous, sea girl," he spoke deeply, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. "Let's think of this conversation as a sort of...quid pro quo. I will ask a question, and once you answer, you may ask me a question, and I'll do the same. But I am not here to simply provide the answers to the world's problems. I have far better things to do."

I rolled my eyes. "And you want to slow the process by asking me questions? Hardly seems valid."

"I need to know who I'm answering to. Take the deal, or leave it," he responded, his stare turning into a slight glare.

Sighing, I responded, "Fine; deal."

The man began pacing a few steps from one side of the room, pivoting on one foot, and pacing back.

"Very well. I'll go first," he said, grinning and revealing a mouth of blinding-white teeth. "What is your name?"

"Ailith," I responded.

"Ailith." He purred my name, spreading out the sounds like butter. "And what are you, Ailith? A warrior, I presume, as that is what your name means?"

How did everyone in this kingdom know what my name meant, when I hadn't known what it meant the past eighteen years of my life?

I nodded. "That was two questions. My turn. What is your name, and what is your mother's name?"