Chapter 32

I was jerked upwards by my hair and dragged through the field of rain, all the way back to the chapel.

"Why are you doing this?" I exclaimed.

Juniper let out a snort. "I don't have to explain myself to you. You're nothing but filth from the bottom of the ocean. I don't bow down to you, no matter what Soren promised you about being his Queen."

With that, she through me through the creaky back door of the church. I tried to keep my balance, but ended up toppling to the floor, my armor clanking with a loud thud. I groaned at the unexpected impact, blinking away raindrops that were dripping from my hair into my eyes.

"Juniper," I heard Soren gasp. "Are you really this stupid?"

She laughed. "So Hades here informed you of our little collaboration? It's quite genius, is it not?"

Soren eyed her carefully. "I have to say...I wasn't expecting the two of you to be smart enough to conspire with each other. However, I suppose it makes sense. With Hades flesh masking as my brother, and you...doing whatever it is you do. It finally makes sense."

"Exactly," Juniper drawled, stepping towards Soren. "And I'm sure you're glad now that you don't have to associate yourself with that thing that sprung out of the sea. Hades and I are working to summon Poseidon. We plan to get the prophecy revoked."

I let out a cough, and immediately felt Soren's gaze on me. He was trying to hide the fury within him by behaving indifferent.

I could always tell when Soren was doing that, because it was so perfectly evident in his eyes.

"Well, that would be a breath of fresh air," he remarked. He grunted uncomfortably when Juniper rested a caressing hand on his shoulder, but did not object to the touch. I immediately felt a snarl burrowing itself in my diaphragm, and scrambled to my feet.

I surveyed my surroundings. Soren and Juniper were whispering to each other, while Hades lay lazily on the ground, watching the exchange with about as much puzzlement and curiosity as I.

As soon as I realized none of them were watching me, I knew exactly what Soren was doing. He was creating a distraction.

For me.

And with that, I took a step back. None of them noticed. I then took another two steps. Again, they weren't paying attention.

Three steps. Four.

Finally, I was nearly touching the creaky wooden door at the back of the building when I heard it slam shut behind me. I squeezed my eyes shut in a cringe, and looked over to the three other people in the church.

Hades sent me a smirk. "Nice try, sea girl."

Soren looked over to him, and then to me, and loosened his taut muscles, pulling away from Juniper's touch, as he realized his distraction hadn't worked. He stepped over to me, planting his body right in front of mine.

"What do the pair of you want?" he growled.

Juniper glared at him. "So you were trying to let her escape, were you? Is it because you feel sorry for her, or because you've convinced yourself that you actually like her?" She made a face of feigned sadness, and Soren stepped forward.

"Neither," he snarled. "I haven't convinced myself of anything, other than of your irritating demeanor and Hades's need for a proper death sentence. I love Ailith, and the next time you refer to her as anything other than your Queen, you shall be signing your own death sentence."