Chapter 11

Soren approached us, his body soaring through the cloudy sky and smoothly landing on the top of the mountain as it began to rain. I could tell there was some correlation between his mood and the weather...there had to be. It had gone from sunny and calm one minute, to cloudy and dark when he arrived.

"King Soren," Hades exclaimed, scooching himself in front of me. "How good it is to see you. We haven't crossed path in...oh, it must have been three hundred years ago when we last met."

Soren peered past Hades; at me. I could tell he was eyeing the glimmering flesh hidden behind my hair.

"Don't lay a finger on her, Hades," Soren warned, his eyes looking more annoyed than concerned. I wondered, if the two fought, who would be the winner—who was more powerful. I knew Hades was much older than Soren, but Soren was Zeus's son.

My head was spinning with the possibilities.

"I'm not here to hurt her," Hades responded, his tone a bit offended. "Geez, Sor, who do you think I am?"

"You're the ruler of the underworld. You're dangerous, and infamously conniving. Plus," Soren added, snarling the last few words. "You have a tendency to take concubines."

With that, Hades broke out into peals of laughter, roaring so loudly I could swear the thunder in the distance was responding with a deafening crack. I covered my sensitive ears, rolling my eyes.

"What is that supposed to mean? You honestly think I can stand spending only half the year with my Persephone? She is my beloved, and I do only see her when she is with me, but I cannot wait for her all the months that she dwells on Land."

"I heard you're attempting to bring her into your world full-time," Soren said, stepping closer.

Hades shrugged. "I've discovered a few loopholes. I won't break the treaty, if that's what you're wondering. But Persephone loves me. She would choose to dwell in the underworld forever, given the choice. But her mother is greedy, and wants her for half the year. So we suffer through it."

"Are you trying to guilt me into breaking the treaty?" Soren exclaimed. "My father put that in place nearly two million years ago. I wouldn't touch it with the longest tree branch in the world."

"Which is the problem, Son of Zeus," Hades taunted. "You think you're ready to take your father's place, once he decides he is ready to really settle...but you're not. You're only what, four thousand years old? So young. So naïve." Hades was now inching closer to me, his feet nearly reaching mine.

"Don't touch her," Soren warned.

Hades snorted as he twirled a lock of fire-red hair. "Or what? You'll kill me?"

"I could," Soren threatened. "You know I could."

"Possibly, but that would be terribly unfortunate. My people would have war, and that—I'm not sure you could win," Hades responded, his wicked smile returning.

"Just return Ailith to me, go back to the underworld, and don't come back," Soren growled, clasping his hands in front of him.

I wanted so badly to roll my eyes—as he spoke as if I belonged to him—but knew this wasn't the time to make a retort.

Hades clicked his tongue, seemingly amused by this painfully tense dynamic. For some reason, he seemed to have more confidence in himself than I thought he should, if, in fact, Soren could kill him.