Chapter 20

"Madalaena," I breathed.

My voice quivered for just a moment. I blinked a few times, pinching my own flesh to be sure I wasn't seeing things out of exhaustion.

No, I wasn't.

My sister was really there, body bobbing in the water.

For a moment, I hesitated. And then I called her name, screaming at the loudest volume my raspy voice could muster.

"I think she's unconscious," I said, my voice barely a whisper.

Soren furrowed a brow. "You know this girl?"

I nodded. "She's my sister."

His brows quickly shot upwards, and he turned towards the shore. "Stay here."

I grabbed his arm. "Is it safe?"

Scoffing, he responded, "I'd be almost a bit disappointed if Goridian didn't try something. Knowing what he did to you, I'd enjoy a meet-and-greet, even if it is a little impromptu." I was afforded a flash of his wicked grin, before calmness spread across his face as he approached the shore, and waded into the water, which seemed to move with his every movement.

The sheer power of his movement guided the tide as he treaded water, and grasped onto my sister's limp body.

I held my breath, and was relieved when Soren returned to shore, Madalaena completely unconscious.

Gasping, I bit my lip. "Please tell me that she...she isn't..."

With that, a gasp protruded from my sister's lips, and seawater began sputtering out of her mouth. I assumed she'd been caught up in a nasty current, but hadn't been as lucky as I had and saved by pirates—her body most likely lost consciousness in her fight with the water, and she washed up on the shore like this.

"Madalaena," I whispered, grabbing her by her slender shoulders. "Laena, it's me."

For just a moment, she shuddered in my grasp. Slowly, her pale eyelids flickered open. Immediately, she viewed me with confusion—and then with happiness.

"It's you," she muttered.

I smiled. "I'm here, Laena. How did you get here?"

A blonde brow curved. "I escaped, with Triton's help. He sent me here to find you."

I felt my stomach turning in one fluid motion.

"What did he say?" I gasped, my breath thickening.

She coughed a bit, spitting up some more water. "He wanted me to warn you that Goridian will be ready for war...soon."

My breath caught in my throat at that word. Soon.

I turned to Soren, who was still standing a few feet away, watching this exchange with silence.

"Thank you for saving her," I murmured.

He didn't even respond; simply nodded in his head and said, "We should get her inside. She needs rest, most of all."

I nodded. "How are you feeling, Laena?"

Squinting, she murmured, "Where am I?"

Smiling, I felt my heart fill with excitement as I realized I would now get to show someone from my kingdom this beautiful place.