Chapter 37

WARNING: PLEASE STICK AROUND FOR ANNOUNCEMENTS DURING THE AUTHOR'S NOTE.  PLEASE & THANK YOU.  (ALSO...WHY DOES DAMON SALVATORE LOOK LIKE A DUCK WHEN HE DOESN'T CUT HIS HAIR?)

"Uncle," Soren said, his spine straightening as he stood, outstretching a hand for Poseidon to shake.

"Zeus seems to have somehow managed with you," Poseidon murmured, his gaze trailing over Soren—and stopping where his arm was cut. "What in the world happened to you? Is this Hades's doing?"

"Not technically," Soren replied through his teeth.

All of a sudden, the familiar redhead appeared in the throne room doorway. "Come on, brother, we were all just having a little fun."

"I find that hard to believe," Poseidon retorted. "Ailith, Hades and I wish to speak to you alone."

I took a deep breath, looking over at Soren. He didn't shake or nod his head, meaning he wanted me to decide if I was willing to go alone with them.

Slowly, I crossed my arms over my chest. "Why?"

"There are some terms we must discuss, of your time in the underworld," Poseidon responded, mindlessly dusting off the specks of ash from his brown leather jacket.

I gulped. "My—my what? I do not want to spend any more time in the underworld," I blurted out.

Hades roared from across the room, his laughter sending vibrations through the floor. He eyed me from where he leaned against the frame of the doorway and said, "But alas, Ms. Ailith, you must."

"Why?" I exclaimed.

I turned to Soren, but he didn't seem to have anything to add. He was probably wondering the same things I was.

"Because," Poseidon responded. "You agreed to come here with Hades."

"But I didn't agree to staying here with Hades," I countered. "And I never said that I would come back."

"Yes, well, that is why I am here to help negotiations. Now, let's go to the conference room, shall we? Not only have we this to work through, but there is a certain....element of the prophecy I would like to tell you about."

"Shall we go?" Hades said, stepping away from the doorway, leaving it open.

I turned to Soren, and then to Poseidon. "I don't go anywhere without Soren."

Hades seemed to growl at my statement, but Poseidon simply held up a palm to silence his brother.

"Fine," he told me, shaking his head, and then muttering, "I must be much better at making prophecies than I thought."

~

The conference room was low-ceilinged, similar to the throne room. A large, iron table stretched across the majority of the room, and torches hung upon the walls, sending flickering yellow light throughout the space. I sat down carefully, and Soren sat next to me. Hades and Poseidon took up seats across from us, both of them looking quite calmer than I would have expected.

"Let's see," Poseidon murmured. "So, Hades here believes he is entitled to your presence here, Ailith, for six months out of the year."

"Six months?" I shrieked. "He isn't entitled to my presence here now."

"Let me remind you, Ailith, that you did agree to come with me," Hades snarled, crossing his arms and huffing.

"Calm down, brother, and let me do the negotiating," Poseidon drawled, resting a bony, white hand on his brother's shoulder.