Chapter 35

The throne room was barely tall enough to fit the iron throne that sat at the back of the room, resting on a platform made of burning coal, and identical iron statues of beasts breathing fire sitting at either side of the throne. The room was dark and wide; the only light provided by a roaring fireplace on opposing sides of the room, and burning candles that sat atop skinny iron stools situated against the walls.

"What are we doing in your throne room, Hades?" I asked impatiently.

Hades turned to me, running a hand through his red locks nonchalantly before he sent me a smirk. "You'll see."

I looked behind me, where Soren stood. He appeared to be attempting to take in the room as much as I was.

A few moments later, a particularly confident Juniper sauntered into the room. Her dress shouldn't have even counted as an article of clothing. It was crimson-red, sleeveless, with a plunging neckline that led to a completely bare middle, showing off a tan, slim waist, and a tight-fitted skirt that barely reached her mid-thigh. She wore a pair of high heels, and the look was finished off with her long blonde locks pulled up onto her head in an elaborate up-do.

As soon as she walked in, she made a beeline for Soren.

She walked past me as if I were simply another one of the seven hundred candles illuminating the dank room, and took Soren's hands in hers. She peered up at him with long, darkened eyelashes and pouted.

"My darling," she muttered—but not quietly enough that I couldn't overhear—"how good it is to see you in the underworld. I was growing so lonely down here all alone with Hades, and with that sea girl keeping him occupied these past few days, I've really been craving attention."

"I doubt that's a result of this change of scenery, Juniper," Soren responded from his teeth, keeping his gaze averted from the curvaceous manipulator who was now attempting to wrap her leg around his. Before she had the chance he said, "Excuse me", and walked over to me.

"How are you doing?" he murmured.

I shook my head. "He has Laena."

"I know." He slid his hands into his pockets.

"We need to figure out a way to get her out of here," I told him. "If I am banned to the underworld for the rest of my life, then that is on me. But I won't let him take my sister. She is innocent in all of this."

Soren reached for my hand, and leaned forward to whisper in my ear, "You are too, Ailith."

I looked him in the eye and said, "I came here willingly. That is a fact."

"You didn't want to." Soren's gaze narrowed.

"Didn't want to what?"

We both turned, and realized Hades was standing a few feet away, a large wine goblet in his hand. He looked at the pair of us like prey.

"I didn't want to come here," I told him, crossing my arms in front of my chest. I felt Soren's grip on my arm; noticed how he shuffled to stand just slightly in front of me, but not so much as to cover me.

Hades laughed. "You're so dramatic, sea girl."

"Why are we here?" I asked.

"That," he responded, pausing to sip from his goblet as he sauntered across the room, stepped onto the platform of burning coals, and took a seat upon his throne, "is what I was just about to explain."