Four

When I was almost through with my grocery list, I felt the lightest prickle on the back of my neck. Almost like someone was watching me. I shut my eyes to push down the intense sense of paranoia that had become such a dominating part of my life. I silently begged that no one would notice the internal struggle I was having as I clung tightly to my shopping cart like it was my lifeline.

"Are you alright?"

My head snapped up to see a blue-eyed boy of around my age watching me with concern. His hand rested on my elbow and I realized I'd been swaying slightly. Oh god had I been about to faint in broad daylight in the middle of a supermarket? I felt my cheeks blush a deep red with embarrassment and I hid my face from him.

"Hey it's okay, nothing to be embarrassed about," he said gently, brushing my hair lightly behind my ear. His touch was so soft, like a feather, but still grounding in nature. It was enough for me to loosen my grip on the shopping cart. I took a deep breath and lifted my head to give him a small smile to convey my gratitude. A soft gasp escaped him and the faintest blush lit up his cheeks. Goodness he was adorable.

"By the way, I recommend Hidden Valley for ranch. It tastes ten times better," he said after clearing his throat, as he swapped the dressing in my hand for another one.

"Thank you, for earlier as well" I said softly, taking the dressing from his hand and brushing past his shoulder to head for the counter. From the quiet footsteps behind me, I could tell the boy was following me. For some odd reason, it gave me a quiet kind of joy.

"So, what's your name," he asked as he came up next to me, a playful smile lighting up his face. His eyes crinkled slightly at the corners and his blue eyes were alight with almost childish innocence. Now this, this was a smile that could light up the whole world.

"Roe," I said as I placed my items at the register. I then noticed that the boy had nothing in his cart.

"Did you come here to buy the cart," I asked with a smile and again, that blush lit up his cheeks as he lifted his hand to rub the back of his head. A sign of nervousness I realized, and somehow I liked him even more. He seemed simple, straightforward and sweet. He didn't seem to be hiding anything from me, a complete stranger.

"I actually came here to ask for your number. I was watching you and I think you're one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen," he said, his voice conveying utmost honesty. So he'd been the cause of my paranoia. At least I hadn't been imagining it. There was something in the shade of his eyes, a baby blue, that made me want to trust him but he was still a nameless stranger I'd met just minutes ago. It wasn't safe no matter what my gut instinct said.

"How about you give me your number and I'll call you," I said and he nodded eagerly as he took my phone to enter his number. His face lit up with that beautiful smile and I knew in that moment I would call him, if only to see that smile again. And to know that I was the reason for that smile made my heart constrict with a kind of joy words couldn't even express.

"Where are we going," I asked with a laugh as I climbed into the front seat of Troy's car, the boy I'd met just two days ago at the supermarket. I'd called him the following day and we'd talked for about an hour before he'd shyly asked me on a date. I'd accepted, sounding almost too eager, and he'd replied with a laugh saying the location would be a surprise. I'd installed an app on my phone just in case he planned to murder me and to ease my paranoid nature.

"Relax Roe, it's the most beautiful place. You'll love it," he said, looking at me with that smile that made me drop my guard and relax in the seat. The most girlish part of me couldn't fully comprehend that I was actually going on a date and started to conjure various romantic scenarios Troy's plan could consist of. Perhaps he'd take me to a romantic restaurant with a candlelight dinner followed by a walk in the moonlight.

Then we could kiss under the stars as rain started to pour down on us. I looked out the window at the darkening, but clear sky. There would definitely be no rain tonight.

"What are you thinking about," he asked and I blushed. No doubt if I told him what was going through my mind, he'd think I was a naïve teenager on her first date. I was exactly that, but there was no need for him to know just yet.

"I was just wondering what plans you've made," I said, trying to keep the slight anxiousness out of my tone. Paranoia and surprises didn't coexist easily. I try to shove down my unease and shifted in my seat to face him fully. He had a strong side profile, I realized, a sharp jawline and cheekbones as well. In my mother's words, he'd be 'model-worthy.' Precisely why I hadn't taken him to my house and chosen to meet him a block away.

"You aren't mad that I haven't told you my plans, are you," he asked, as he briefly glanced at me. The concern was evident in his tone and again I was struck by how adorable he was acting.

"Of course I'm not. I like surprises," I said, tacking on that last lie to appease him. He gave me a grin that sent my heart racing before killing the engine.

"I can tell that you're lying, but no more worries. We're here now," he said and I looked out the window. He'd brought me to a gorgeous lake surrounded by lush trees and flowers of all shapes and colors that seamlessly blended in perfect harmony. My hands suddenly itched to capture it all and to frame it on my wall.

"You want to stay in the car or are you coming," Troy asked playfully as he appeared at my door to open it. He was being a perfect gentlemen and I couldn't help myself as I leaned up to kiss him on the cheek, causing him to blush. A deep blush the color of the cluster of chrysanthemums that appeared in patches around the lake.

"Do you like this place," he asked, his voice eager and doubtful. I gave him my widest grin in answer and he tugged me along to sit at the edge of a lake, a slight bounce in his step.

"Do you know how to skip stones," he asked as he sat down, patting the spot next to him. I planted myself down, my shoulder brushing his and nodded with a smirk. He responded with a challenging grin of his own, and soon we were involved in a skipping stone war, laughing and screaming like absolute hooligans and completely destroying the serenity of the area.

And I could safely say it was the most fun I'd had in years. As the sun slowly began to set, we sat down, completely exhausted and out of the corner of my eye, I saw him hover his hand over my own with a questioning glance.

He was asking my permission just to hold my hand. My heart melted at how much of a gentleman he was being and I smiled in approval. He took my hand in his, our long fingers entwining in the small patch of grass between us. He had a breathtaking smile on his face as he watched the sunset and I couldn't tear my eyes off of him even as the sun slowly descended, creating glorious patterns of color across the lake that I had previously itched to paint.

But no longer did I want to paint the nature around me. Instead I wanted to paint this beautiful boy beside me who'd given me one of the most memorable days of my life. 

Hope you liked this chapter! Please vote and comment below if you did. From now onwards, I'll be updating once a week at this time. That's Sunday morning for India. 

I'll be making the chapters longer because I'll only be updating once a week and I might send out a spoiler via message halfway through the week. 

For all those who have voted and commented so far, thank you so much! Your support means so much to me and I'm so glad that you guys like my book. 

-ASH