Thirty Nine

We pulled up outside my grandfather's house with exactly 10 minutes to spare before the dinner started. The driveway was already full and I could hear the lively chatter of my relatives inside the house. The car ride had been surprisingly silent with each of us absorbed by our own thoughts. The excitement of driving my own car had worn off after I'd taken Troy and Violet in it to drop them off at their houses. Anxiety was still coursing through me and it was a miracle I'd managed to drive the car all the way here in one piece. There were so many things that could go wrong. Seeing my mother, disapproval from the rest of the family, someone losing their temper, the list went on. I couldn't see this night ending without some kind of trouble. I sent up a silent prayer before killing the engine and turning towards the backseat.

The boys were sitting in a row behind me with different levels of worry written across their faces. For my sake, they tried to wipe it off but I saw straight through it. I regretted bringing them here if it only caused them unnecessary anxiety. They all had enough problems to worry about, what with Ivan taking over the gang soon.

"It's going to be fine," I said feebly, reaching out a hand to the backseat. Ivan took my hand and squeezed it hard. It did nothing to assuage either of our worries but it was silent acknowledgement that we were feeling the same. Before exiting the car, he dragged Alexei by the hand behind him. I traced my hand down his cheek quickly just before Ivan yanked him out of the car. With a deep breath, I followed them to the house with Mikhail at my back.

"It's going to be fine." Mikhail repeated my words to me. He sounded much surer than I had though. He kept his hand on my lower back as Ivan rang the doorbell. The door swung open and I braced myself for the sight of my mother.

Instead I was greeted with the sight of 10-year-old Alessandro. The last time I'd seen him, he'd been a skinny toddler with 4 teeth. Now he was much taller, and definitely had more than four teeth as he offered me a huge smile. It instantly relaxed my nerves just a bit.

"Roella," he screamed before launching himself at me. I caught him with a choked out laugh as he knocked the breath out of me. I quickly hoisted him onto my hip, feeling my arms tremble under his weight. He definitely wasn't as light as he used to. He still hadn't dropped the habit of calling me Roella, a combination of my name and the Italian word for sister (sorella). My entire family had taken to calling me by the same claiming it had a nice ring to it.

"Hi Sandro," I said with a smile as I set him down and kissed him on the cheek. He looked at the three boys beside me with wide eyes. I suppose with their heights and serious expressions, they were quite intimidating. Just as I was about to introduce them to him, the rest of the family arrived at the door with my Grandfather in the lead.

"Sweetpea! You're just in time. Is that a new car I see outside?" Before I had a chance to say a word, I was swept away by him into the kitchen. The smell of pasta and cheese hit my nostrils and I bit back a groan. The smell was heaven and home. I helped Nonno take the dishes to the dining table, hoping the boys would fare well amongst my family.

"Troy and Violet got the car for me for Christmas. Where's mom." I asked in an edged voice as I helped Nonno with the plates. I furtively glanced about and found that she was nowhere to be seen.

"She'll join us for dinner. She's upstairs with Aunt Rosa putting Riley down for a nap." I nodded in relief at Nonno's words. I would have a bit more time to brace myself for the sight of my mother. I didn't even know what I would say considering the way we'd left things between us last time. I couldn't help but glance at the living room every five seconds though, in case she showed up early.