Thirty Six

Just as I made a move to try and follow Ivan's mother, I was pushed back roughly. Despite the fact that I was wearing no high heels or anything, I lost my balance and fell back. I let out a soft yelp before looking up to see who'd collided into me.

It was a man who seemed to be in his early twenties with black hair and startling violet eyes. I racked my brain and remembered that Ivan's mother had introduced him as Andrei, a cousin of Ivan's. If I wasn't mistaken, he was angry with the gang being passed onto Ivan's leadership.

He looked at me with a leering grin as he extended his arm. I didn't want to take it. Everything in me hated those unsteady eyes that scanned my body greedily. Before I could stand up on my own, he grabbed my arm anyway and pulled me up with surprising strength. I collided into his body and his grin widened a bit more.

For courtesy's sake, I muttered a thank you and tried to back away.

The man didn't let go. He only pulled me closer instead so his chest was pressed up against my front. His hand came up to lift my face up so he could see it. His alcohol laced breath made me want to gag. His eyes danced with cruel delight as his hand gently skimmed the top of my cheekbone. The touch was revolting.

"I think you should let go." I said as boldly as I could as I stared into his wide eyes. He didn't even seem to be able to hear my words. I'd dealt with looks from men like him before but none had come this close. He grinned and placed a hand on my hip. I shivered in disgust and attempted to push him away. The man didn't even budge. The pad of his fingers slowly began to rub circles on my hip.

"Look I don't want to make a scene," I started to say in a firmer tone. He didn't let me finish. His lips swooped down to meet mine in an unwanted, messy, stomach-roiling kiss that made me want to puke.

His lips moved against mine with no sense of control whatsoever. It was wet, sticky, and harshly invasive as he thrust his tongue into my mouth. The taste of alcohol was pungent now and I gagged again. Perhaps he took this as a sign of acceptance as his tongue skimmed the roof of my mouth. His free hand caressed my side and I realized with dawning horror that my trench coat had come undone. My dress felt tight and hot as his hands began to creep lower. I pushed my hands up to shove at his chest more desperately. I couldn't stop myself from shaking with fear in that moment. I was completely and utterly helpless. His hold on my body slackened just a bit as I continued to push and perhaps because he'd lost himself in this kiss or fate was truly on my side today but he finally fell back with one hard shove. He glanced up at me from the floor with harsh angry eyes but before he could get back up, I disappeared into the crowd while simultaneously pulling my trench coat tighter. Maybe it was my imagination but everywhere I looked, I only saw those lustful eyes. I held back my meaningless tears as I searched the crowd. I needed to go home. I needed to take this dress off and burn it.

I felt like I was living in a nightmare until a pair of bright green eyes jarred me back into reality. He was shoving people aside and didn't stop to apologize as they yelled profanities at him. His desperation was evident. His mother walked beside him and he seemed to be yelling at her. Even over the music, I could hear his words.

"You left her alone! What the hell were you thinking? If anybody so much as touches her I don't care if he's your goddamned family. I will kill him." For the first time since I'd known her, Ivan's mother looked terrified for her life.

"Ivan," I yelled out as I neared him. I hadn't meant to sound so needy and desperate but it came out that way anyway. I wanted to feel safe again. His panicked eyes searched the crowd until they landed on me. He shoved about 3 full-grown men aside and within seconds he had me up in his arms. His arms were like bands of steel, like he'd never let me go. I clutched on to him desperately and finally realized the extent of what had almost happened a few moments ago. I should've stayed by his side. I should've listened.