Chapter Five

Namjoon opened his eyes and groaned. His room was filled with fluorescent lighting signaling it was six in the morning. "Another day." He muttered to himself as he got up. His feet hit the cold tiles and he shuddered. The things he did to make sure he was awake every morning.

  He grabbed the hairbrush on his bedside table and gave it a quick brush through before he pulled off his pajamas. His pale skin was only showing for a few moments before he was once again wearing the attire of a lab assistant. Namjoon hummed an old folk song as he picked up his shoes and placed them on his feet, glad for a relief from the cold floor.

  His routine continued as he walked into the bathroom brushing his teeth, only stopping when the someone knocked on his door. Sighing he spit out his toothpaste and rinsed his mouth. "Come in!" He placed the brush in its cup before he stepped out.

  "Do you let anyone in?" The coarse voice was far too familiar to Namjoon.

  "Of course not, Father. If I did that somebody might actually walk in that shouldn't." Namjoon said as he dried his hands.

  "Stop playing." Namjoon walked out of the bathroom to a pinch as his father injected him.

  "What the hell is this!" Namjoon snapped as he pulled out the syringe. He recognized the amber serum. It was what they used on the subjects. It only worked before it assaulted their abnormal dna until they collapsed. "There is no reason for you to inject me with that."

  "That is not what I heard Subject One saying." His father crossed his arms and stared Namjoon down, his dark eyes glaring at his son.

  "You remember ever telling me we shouldn't trust them? That they are psychotic?" Namjoon stepped back towards the bathroom. He could feel it running through his system. His vision blurred but he blinked it away. "What makes you want to listen to them now?" He took the drugs daily, he always feared something would happen and he would lose himself. His hands shook as he gripped the door frame.

  "Because you remind me of your mother." His father narrowed his eyes at Namjoon, noticing the little stumbles and the way he wavered. "I've always been disappointed in you Namjoon. You lack strength. You're never going to be a leader. You are always going to be a follower."

  "I don't care. I'm not trying to be you." Namjoon could feel his knuckles going white as he clutched the door frame.

  "I know. I always knew that. That's why I took your cousin Taehyung under my wing. Unlike you he can live, he can survive better than you. He can be a leader." Namjoon's father glared down at his son. "Unfortunately, you'll just have to be demoted. How does Subject five sound?"

  "I'm not a subject." His words slurred as he stepped back. Namjoon only needed a few more moments, he knew he could beat it after this. He could walk out and not make a simple misstep.

  "Not yet." His father kicked Namjoon to the ground shamelessly.

  "Don't," Namjoon felt his head spin before he lost consciousness.

  His arm hurt. Namjoon scowled and flexed his hand. His forearm burned, no doubt they had him marked already. He hated his father, the man was a bastard. His father ignored him for years, focusing instead on his little cousin. When his father did pay attention to him it was to throw him into prison and allude to his nameless mother.

  "How are you today?" Namjoon raised his head, looking at the scientist. Siwon was his mentor. He practically raised him. Siwon was the reason why he had become a scientist, but now they were on opposite sides.

  "You're the mouse that was changing the results weren't you?" Siwont sighed and stared down at Namjoon with clear disappointment. "I thought I had taught you better, science is something to be revered. You should not be destroying what we tried to hard to gain."

  "I know, Doc." Namjoon said as he leaned his head back down onto the table they had set him on. "I know you understand."

  "Tell me what your ability is, maybe we can do this easily." Siwon rubbed his eyes.

  "I can't. You know that." Namjoon looked straight up at the ceiling. "I don't agree with this I never have."

  "I know. I wanted to do this the easy way." Siwon picked up a syringe and held it infront of Namjoon. "Please tell me. You know what this does Namjoon."

  Namjoon stared at it and bit on his lip. He was scared. He didn't know what it would feel like. He didn't want to be put on overdrive. He didn't want to be put in pain. But he supposed it was stupid of him to try and shy away from it after he had subjugated so many to the poison. "I can't tell you anything." He stared into the eyes of his old friend and turned his arm. "You can see where my vein is."

  "You don't have to torture yourself like this." Siwon flicked at the syringe and sighed. "I can't guarantee you could survive it." He sighed and pierced the skin of Namjoon's forearm, letting the poison run through his veins.

  Instead of answering Namjoon closed his eyes. He could feel spasms in his muscles as the serum ran through his body. It was different from the first one, that was to send specials unconscious. But this was a poison to destroy them, the specials. He felt his throat burn as his saliva bubbled and sparked at his mouth. He could feel feel his body weakening. His memories of the day he got his powers assaulted him. He remembered hitting the floor and not being able to move his body. He remembered how his skin felt like it was going to fall right off his bones.

  Namjoon's eyes rolled as he cried out in pain, shaking from muscle spasms. He could feel his abilities fighting against him, the light around him assaulting him and pulling at his skin making it itch and stretch. "I won't, I won't." He muttered to himself as he fought to keep his skin from pulling and warping its way into nonexistence.

  "Let it run through your body." Siwon undid the straps holding Namjoon down and pulled him up. "Get him moving, make sure the serum gets through his whole body. Don't let him stop. Keep him going for an hour, then take him to the cell."

  Namjoon could have pointed out that running around would make him fight the serum faster, but he supposed it was Siwon's way of showing he still cared. That while also throwing him through a blender of salt soaking pain.

  He let the guard grab him and drag his weary body into the next room. Namjoon stared mutely when he encountered four weary face staring back. The room itself was a lie, he knew that as soon as the door closed they would be falling into a pool. No matter what they would have to keep swimming or they would die. It seemed too simple to really work, but the point wasn't torture. It was pushing them to their limits, working them hard enough that their eyes bled and their skin had nothing left to show but bulging veins.

  "So, which asshole was it." Namjoon spat out as the guard tossed him into the room.

  "Me," subject one smirked at Namjoon and crossed his arms.

  "Subject one, Jung Hoseok. Youngest son, older sister, failed musical protege. Of course you would be bitter enough to do this." The words spilled from Namjoon's mouth before he could stop them. As always his frustration came out through words.

  "You helped torture us every day and you act all high and mighty when you're just one of us." Hoseok walked towards Namjoon with a glare etched on his features. "Welcome to the club five."

  "Hoseok." Seokjin sighed and looked at Namjoon critically. He certainly wasn't going to trust the assistant. This whole situation, what Jungkook had told them, it could all be some facade. Something to break them more. "We don't need to waste our energy on this."

  "You shouldn't." Namjoon felt his knees collapse from under him as he hit the floor. "Dammit." He scowled and pushed himself up, trying to ignore the way his skin drooped, weighing him down. "Whatever, I just hope you all can swim." He closed his eyes as the room spun. It could have been another pain induced dream but when he hit the water, he knew it was the next thing he would have to live through. He felt himself slipping through the water, he knew it wouldn't take long for him to drown. At least they would get to see the former lab assistant drowning before their eyes, maybe then they wouldn't need to glare so fiercely at him.

  He felt slim fingers grip his bicep before his decent to the bottom ended.

  "Kick your legs dumbass." Yoongi hissed at Namjoon keeping his hands clasped tightly onto Namjoon. Namjoon thought a single touch would kill him, but he figured that after being thrown torture everyday, all they had managed to do was make the subjects stronger.

  "I'm trying." Namjoon snapped back as he tried to keep his body moving.

  "Seokjin!" Yoongi's words were met with a heaving sigh and loud splashing as subject one loudly made his way to the two.

  "I'm here." Seokjin huffed and helped Yoongi keep the former lab assistant above the water. Namjoon stared at the two and didn't bother wondering why they were helping him. They were better people than him.

  They were everything Namjoon was not.