Chapter 17

"Are you okay?" Seokjin looked at Yunghee, he bit his lip lightly as he watched her fingers curl into small fists, planted against his chest. Similar to Yoongi, he was surprised to see her so affected by their plight. He had always known it was immoral what was happening to them, how could he not? But he had become so used to it, there was nothing for him to complain about.

  "I will be." Her voice barely wafted to his ear. Seokjin let his eyes drift shut as he listened to her. "How could this happen, it's wrong. I always knew the world was disgusting, but to be this repulsive....People always claim we are better than we used to be, but humans are always so barbaric, there is no avoiding it. Despite knowing this, it still hurts me." Her body trembled in his arms and he tightened his grip as his put his chin on her head. There was something about being able to protect someone that made him feel strong. To be able to comfort her, and be able to actually make a difference? It was euphoric to him, unlike in the cell, here he could act and make a change.

  "It's okay. We won't be going back, and you won't have to experience it. Namjoon and Hoseok will be back with a boat and we will be safe." Seokjin relaxed, the thoughts of finding a safe place sending ease through his muscles.

  "You're making it sound so easy." Jimin spoke up from Yoongi's lap. "It's never that easy."

  "Maybe this time it will be." Taehyung said with a cruel smile.

  "It's okay to have hope." Jungkook looked at the ground, watching a worm squirm its way onto a fallen leaf. "Our life won't always be so bad, right?"

  "Of course." Yunghee said as she detangled herself from Seokjin. Despite detaching herself from him, Seokjin found his hand clasped on hers. "We have to be positive."

  "Positive?" Yoongi sighed heavily letting his eyes fall shut. "I don't think you understand the situation." His words made her eyes burn more, Seokjin watched as her body started shaking again. He wanted to pull her back into his arms and try and keep her safe, but she had removed herself from him. It felt wrong to pull her back.

  "I may not understand the full details of the situation, but I know the answer to every situation is hope. If we don't believe in the capability of something better, there will never be something better." She spoke with determination, refusing to back down. Seokjin felt his lips curl into a soft smile. She reminded him of Hoseok then, despite looking into the darkness, she still chose to find some light.

  "Well we found something better for you." Namjoon and Hoseok walked into the clearing looking tired and smelling of fish.

  "A compost?" Jimin croaked out, trying not to gag.

  "No, a boat." Namjoon shot the kid a bland look before shaking his head. "I don't know how trustworthy this guy is, but someone says he knows where the asylum is and he is willing to take us. Free of charge." He said the last part after a pause.

  "Free?" Taehyung scoffed and shook his head, sharing the same thoughts as Namjoon. "There is nothing free."

  "Well he says its free. Whether it is or isn't we need to take advantage of our chance to get to safety." Hoseok's lips pulled into a deeper frown as he listened to everyone complain.

  "Then we should get moving." Seokjin stepped away from the tree, bringing Yunghee along with him. His fingers gripped tighter on her hand when he felt her drift further away. He knew he was supposed to be keeping her close for her, but he wanted to have someone near him. It had been so long since he could hold someone. He never shared a cell with anyone, he never held their hands because they were scared of the guards, and he just; he needed to be close to someone.

  "I agree." Yunghee looked at the hands puzzled before looking up at Seokjin. "If we're going to do this then we should get it over fast."

  "Faster he kills us the better?" Jimin's lips pulled into a tired smile as he pushed himself up, stumbling. Yoongi caught the boy before he hit the ground and helped keep him up. Yunghee looked down at his words, unsure of herself. He had a point, going faster didn't mean the man would be any nicer.

  "Let's just go." Hoseok growled out, annoyed at everyone's reluctance.

  "Lead the way." Taehyung shook his head and started walking towards the end of the forest. Reluctantly, Hoseok eyed the kid with approval then started guiding everyone to the beach. Namjoon followed from the back.

  It didn't take long for the group to find the weathered man, and it took even less for everyone to climb into the boat. The group just wanted it done with, they didn't want to be stuck wandering around lost with no reason to have hope.

  "Keep your arms in if you don't want to get them wet." The man chuckled at his words as he put himself at the back of the boat with motor. "Now, with the waves this way it shouldn't be too choppy. If you need a life vest there are some in that box." He waved his hand and Yunghee watched Jimin wearily open it and balk.

  "There's nothing in here!" Taehyung snapped as he clutched the seat of the boat. "We can't go without life vests!"

  "Huh, I guess the last kids forgot to return them." Sung chuckled and started the motor, completely ignoring Taehyung's yelling. Seokjin rolled his eyes not amused at all. His eyes met Namjoon's silently blaming the former lab assistant. Of course that just lead to Namjoon nodding his head to the forlorn looking Hoseok.

  "It's gonna be cold isn't it?" Yunghee muttered to herself biting her lip as she looked out at the water. Seokjin tilted his head as he listened to the waves in the distance, ignoring Taehyung as the kid shuddered just as bad as Yunghee.

  "It might be a bit cold." He wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her in closer. "I'll keep you warm okay?"

  "Nobody told me we had some lovers here." Sung laughed loudly as he guided the boat over the choppy waves. "I remember when I was young, I had a lovely wife by my side. We met at work you know, I used to take care of her with the same manly air that you do. If you learn how to read women, then you have your pick of the lot!" He tapped his nose as if it were a secret.

  "We're not dating!" Yunghee flushed, turning completely red despite the abnormal chill settling on her bones.

  "I'm the eldest." Seokjin said with a smile at the embarrassed girl. "It's my job to make sure everyone is taken care of. She's just weaker than the other boys." Yunghee's nose scrunched up at his words and she felt the chill grow with her frustration.

  "You going to start flirting with me too, oppa?" Hoseok lifted his fists to his cheeks and moved them as he made some sickeningly high pitched squeaks.

  "That's gross!" Jungkook laughed and looked away from Hoseok, his eyes met Yunghee's and he smiled at her. Her lips pulled into a quivering smile before she stared down at her feet. He watched as she flailed in Seokjin's arms squeaking when water hit her. "Do you need my coat?" He watched her hopefully, eager to act.

  "I'll be okay, thanks." She brushed her wet bangs out of her face and smiled at him, shivering in Seokjin's arms. "You need it."

  "Alright." Jungkook sighed, deflating a bit. He wanted to be just as cool as everyone else. It wasn't fair that Seokjin could charm any girl with a look but he was left grasping at straws. Then again, the only girl he had a chance to talk to was Yunghee. He looked at her hopefully when she smiled at him brightly, adjusting her coat. "Let me know if you change your mind!"

  "Of course."

  "Don't tell me that's the asylum." Seokjin eyed a lone island in the distance. It was hard to see it with how much the boat was fighting the waves but he could recognize it enough to tell it looked like a prison.

  "Of course it is, what better place to hide it!" Sung watched everyone interact with a flat smile.

  "I thought the waves would be calmer considering the weather." Jimin stared at the empty chest, still weary at the lack of life vests. Considering his physical state, he would be ruined if they sank.

  "No, no. The ocean is it's own master. What you have on land isn't always what you have on see." Sung chimed, smiling at Jimin.

  "How much longer?" Namjoon sighed and rubbed his eyes, not bothering to focus on Taehyung being gloomy to his left. For some reason, the kid as being more temperamental then usual.

  "About another half hour and we should reach the other side safely." Sung's words led Taehyung to drop his head, cradling it.

  "I hate water." Yoongi peeled his wet sweater off and dropped the sopping cloth on the floor of the boat.

  "You think you do?" Taehyung hissed under his breath, his pale hands grasped at his hair as he tried to still his emotions.

  "Don't worry I was joking, I got my ship fixed up by some kids, I could get us there in five minutes!" Sung spoke up, eyeing Taehyung speculatively.

  "You're going to drop the travel time by more the 15 minutes?" Yunghee's eyes went wide and she looked back at him fearfully. "Is it possible to do that safely?!"

  'We'll see," Sung flipped a switch, grumbling when the boat just rumbled loudly for a moment the quieted down again. "Next time, I will have it figured out by then."

  "I'm hoping there won't be a next time." Taehyung rubbed his temples keeping his eyes sealed shut the rest of the trip.

  "How are we supposed to get off the island then?" Jimin grumbled from beside Yoongi. Somehow the two still remained close. Namjoon said nothing, glad his friend got support, and Yoongi took Jimin into his arms whenever the kid stumbled not making rude comments.

  "Magic." Hoseok rolled his eyes, and glared at Yunghee when she coughed, trying to hide a laugh. Seokjin rolled his eyes at how petty his younger friend was being. Of course only three people could laugh at Hoseok's jokes and she wasn't one of them.

  "It looks odd." Seokjin frowned as they neared the bank of the island. The whole aura of the place was heavy, it felt weird to him. Yet, he could see people waving from the banks, they all seemed far too happy for the air the asylum held.

  "I don't like it." Yunghee mumbled from his side. He felt her fingers wrap tightly around his arm as she sidled close. He looked at her surprised, she was quite shy but the place was enough to drive her close to him. "It feels dark."

  "I agree." Seokjin mumbled to her, he watched as she flushed and jolted away from him again. She was really like a little bunny. He watched as the boat smacked into the sand, screeching its way past the little rocks. They had made it to the asylum far quicker than he imagined, yet he didn't feel relief.