Chapter 22

Taehyung stalked down the hallway, gritting his teeth. He was doing his best for the world, for Primatech. Yet everyone was throwing his work into his face. He just wanted to do what was right, he wanted the world to be pure again, he wanted to bring it into balance. Mutants weren't balance, they weren't evolution, they were a curse. They were a tragedy brought on to bring the world to an end faster. But everything that had happened so far had thrown his actions into a vortex of uncertainty.

  His own cousin was being sent to work as an experiment. His lips pressed together, going white as he imagined the reality if they found out he was a mutant. They would do the same to him. So he had to make himself irreplaceable before that happened. He needed to make sure they couldn't throw him in with the rest.

  His fingers clutched the briefcase tighter. Only one vial was left.

  It was rather symbolic he supposed, that he only had one chance to make an impact, and that he only had one vial to present. If anything happened to it, his life would be harder. How could he hope to achieve a higher rank if he had nothing to present? At the moment they thought he had been overwhelmed by weakling subjects, he knew they were doubting his strength, his capability.

  Taehyung pulled out his card and swiped it, allowing himself clearance into the computer lab. It was empty, everyone was out. Sighing he put the suitcase down and logged onto the closest computer. His fingers sped around the keyboard, flinging him through the system. He was just going to record his efforts, log the events. It was what he was supposed to do. So, it was what he did. But curiosity pulled at him. Jimin's words bothered him. He really had no idea what would happen to Namjoon now.

  He bit his lip as he hesitantly worked up code, it was easy for him to write the script needed for him to bypass the restrictions. He had Namjoon's file open fast. It didn't take him long to see where Namjoon was going. Some high end training facility. So, Major really was going to make a mutant army. He sighed and leaned back in his seat, it was no surprise he supposed. They needed some way to combat the mutants until they could be eradicated.

  His fingers hovered over the mouse as he saw a link in the file to his own. Taehyng smirked and clicked it, it was worth it to see what Major thought. He could take advantage of it. He scanned through his file, mouthing along with what he had already read. He kept up to date with his own file. It was something that always plagued him, what did Major think of him? His nose scrunched up as he saw a new tab.

  "Weekday Project?" He spoke slowly as he clicked it. His brown eyes sparked when he saw another set of restrictions. "Must be something fun." Taehyung said as he wrote up more script to bypass. He was almost bouncing off his seat in excitement. He had brushed aside all worries about his cousin as he entered the file. His eyebrows furrowed as he read through it.

  "Mutant organization, focused by days," he mumbled what he read gathering the gist. It was rather symbol. There were seven factions for the mutants to be sorted into and each faction would be taught something different so they could be easily sorted and grouped by skills needed for missions. This was the program Namjoon was being sent to, he realised that fast. However, he had no clue how he was involved.

  Taehyung hummed to himself as he finally found the attachment for his name. "Thursday class, potential recruits." He frowned as he saw his name under the list. He gritted his teeth as he caught the symbol by his name. It was the same symbol that Siwon's vials were classed with. He felt empty as he realised that Major had been planning to turn him all along. If none of that had happened, he would have been one of the people Namjoon watched get turned. He would have been Subject Five, not his cousin. His Uncle had been planning to damn him all along.

  He never thought himself as stupid, but he certainly felt it.

  "Want me to be one of them?" He growled out at the screen, standing up abruptly. "Fine, I will be." Taehyung cursed at the screen as if it were his uncle before he punched it. It hurt his knuckles sure, but he felt a grim satisfaction when it crashed to the ground, coming apart. He picked up the computer and threw it at the ground. His mind spun from the exertion and he stumbled, almost falling into the clutter. He recovered and kicked the hardware instead.  "To hell with you."

  Taehyung could feel his jaw aching from how stiffly he was clenching it, but he couldn't get the effort to care. He was done. It wasn't hard for him to find Jimin. All he had to do was find the first turtle racer he could. Yunghee was easy to identify, she was clinging onto his friend just as much as his friend was hanging onto her. "Get over here." Taehyung pointed at the ground in front of him, glaring at the duo.

  "Tae," Jimin's lips curled up as he looked at his friend hopefully. Unlike him, Yunghee had fixed Taehyung with a cool glare. "You came back."

  "Of course I did." Taehyung growled out, storming towards them when they waddled too slowly. His mood was growing stronger every moment. He had never felt so turbulent before. "Before I continue on, I decided I am going to help you screw over the Major one last time."

  "And what plan do you have?" Yunghee closed her eyes, trying to stop the chill from overcoming her. "How are we supposed to find them?"

  "You didn't come up with a plan?" Taehyung stared at the two sheepish people with shock.

  "We were waiting for you." Jimin laughed nervously and smiled weakly at his friend. Taehyung grumbled under his breath and rubbed his nose. He should have expected that would happen. Jimin had always been like that, preferring Taehyung made the choices over him.

  "I have an idea, but I don't know how it will work." Taehyung sighed and closed his eyes.

  "Teleporting us?" Yunghee tilted her head, and flushed when Taehyung looked at her. He sighed, annoyed at how easy she was to fluster. She really was weak, subject three wasn't wrong.

  "I am going to try to. Subject Fou-"

  "Jungkook," Jimin said, interrupting his friend.

  "Jungkook, said void class people can sense each other." Taehyung eyed Jimin as he spoke. "I am going to try and identify him and take us there."

  "You don't think that is too advanced? We don't know what will happen." Jimin grimaced, not wanting to imagine what could happen.

  "Got a better idea?" Taehyung snapped, his frustration just kept building. He wasn't bothered to stop it either. At the silence that met his words he rolled his eyes. "Exactly." He took Jimin's hand and closed his eyes. He tried to touch the void, he imagined dimensions as puddles, imagined jumping through one to Jungkook.

  But nothing happened.

  "Have you started yet?" Jimin's eyebrows scrunched together as he looked at his friend.

  "Shut up!" Taehyung hissed. He felt the frustration building again. He wondered when he lost it.

  "How did you teleport last time?" Jimin questioned, still hassling his friend.

  "I don't know, I blinked and I was gone." Taehyung spoke wearily as he clenched his jaw again. Great, so he had finally decided to do something but he couldn't even manage something simple. It was harder than he imagined, to turn his back on the Major. If he did this everyone would know what had happened to him. They would know he was no longer one of Primatech, there was absolutely nothing he could do to recover from it.

  "We don't have time for you to doubt yourself, we don't know what is happening to them right now!" Jimin's voice pitched up as he spoke.

  "I know!" Taehyung snapped. He felt his stomach churn as the nausea came back. He lowered his head trying to steady his breathing as his head spun. He forced himself to focus on Jungkook. His nose crinkled as he did, he really didn't want to think of the kid. Being around Jungkook had helped ease his maturation sure, but the kid was annoying. He was always too willing to trust. It was a destructive trait. One that he shared.

Taehyung covered his mouth gagging as he heard Jimin screaming. He opened his eyes slowly, he could see his cousin hanging in air along with the other subjects. They were surrounded by the cells.

  "Taehyung help! Get the cells open!" Yunghee screamed at him as she pulled off her coat wrapping it around Jimin's hand. Taehyung blinked and frowned as he stared at Jimin. His friend was holding his hand. It took his mind moment to process that Jimin was holding his hand. As in, Jimin was missing a hand. As in, Jimin was holding his detached hand.

  "Taehyung move!" Namjoon's growing shout snapped him out of his revere and he ran for the controls. Taehyung felt as if he was just watching his own hand open the cells, just watching as Yunghee tried to stop Jimin's stump from bleeding, just watching as guards ran in from the cockpit.

  What the hell had his life become.