chapter 14

Taehyung closed his eyes and listened to the train pushing its way over the tracks. He could find his mind for once. He could feel the world around him closer than before. The void still thumbed at his mind, reminding him that his world was no longer what it once was. His new coherency only lead him to anger. He heard Namjoon telling Jimin of his powers. He heard the strange new girl whimpering against Seokjin's chest. He felt subject four beside him, lending him his shoulder.

  "Leave me alone." Taehyung pushed himself off Jungkook and clenched his teeth. As soon as he found himself separate from Jungkook, his mind swam and his stomach churned. He cursed and clutched his head, trying to calm the sudden vertigo.

  "You're going to hurt yourself!" Jungkook's eyes widened and he reached for Taehyung.

  "I said leave me alone! I don't care! I won't let myself be protected by you. Filthy." He growled out and fell to his knees. His head wouldn't stop spinning.

  "Take that back." Hoseok growled out.

  "I won't! You're all monsters." Taehyung felt his frustration grow as his stomach twisted.

  "Yeah? Well you're one now as well!" Jungkook spat out as he stood up.

  "I know that! What, do you think I am an idiot?" Taehyung's fingers pressed into the metal ground as he tried to steady himself.

  "What's going on?" Yunghee lifted her head and stared at Taehyung with a dazed frown.

  "Don't listen." Seokjin covered her ears with his hands, feeling shame grow in his belly. He didn't want her to listen to it, he didn't want her know that he and his friends were just experiments. He wanted to be normal, if just for a little bit longer.

  "We all belong caged up! Not being thrown together into society! We're dangerous! We are not natural!" Taehyung clenched his jaw, trying not to get too emotional.

  "Great, so we have a brainwashed Primatech kid with us too. Could this get any better?" Yoongi sighed tiredly from Hoseok's lap.

  "Primatech! He works with them!?" Yunghee stood up, instantly falling against the wall as the chill thrust itself through her body.

  "No, he doesn't not anymore." Seokjin stood up and pulled the shivering girl into his arms, relaxing when her lips stopped turning blue.

  "What's going on here!" She shivered at the glare Taehyung sent her.

  "You see them? They are all experiments. Monsters that were being investigated so we could cure the poison of mutants. Now because of them I am infected with their disease! It's their fault we are like this!" Taehyung said as he forced himself up. "Primatech is not evil, we are trying to curb the influence or the virus! Mutants are not natural, they are not the next stage of evolution, they are an aberration!"

  "And now you're one of us!" Hoseok snapped, not relaxing. It certainly didn't help that the girl was staring at them with an unreadable expression. He didn't need anyone to judge him, he didn't want to be another aberration.

  "I won't be forever. One day they will make the cure." Taehyung felt his eyes pricking with tears as he stared at the metal. He felt his teeth grinding as he tried to calm himself. "I'll offer myself up to them."

  "There will never be a cure. They were never making one." Namjoon grabbed Taehyung and pulled him up. "They are trying to make an army, if they can control who gets the contagion and who doesn't, then they can create an army of willing and devoted soldiers. So no, you will not offer yourself up to them. I won't let you. You're my cousin. You will not ruin your life for some stupid ideals."

  "They're not stupid!" Taehyung stared into his older cousins eyes with growing anger. "We were raised with this! This is our legacy! We were supposed to get far in the corporation, we were supposed to change the world. You betrayed me!"

  "Really? Did I?" Namjoon scoffed and shook his head. "Yeah, I'm sorry for being born this way. I'm sorry I took more after my mother than my father. I'm sorry I refused to be brainwashed by power hungry maniacs that get off on torture. Is that what you want to hear?"

  "No, no it isn't." Taehyung pushed Namjoon's hand off his shirt and instantly started to falter. "I just want to be home again. Without you." His voice went dry as he hit the floor shaking, unable to keep himself up any longer. Jungkook roughly grabbed Taehyung's hand. Subject five glared at Taehyung as he leant the spoiled kid his strength. Taehyung gritted his teeth as his eyes teared up. He felt repulsed that he had to rely on subject five for strength. Somehow subject five balanced him out, he needed to be near the monstrosity so he could alleviate his confusion.

  "You're stuck with us for now. Just deal with it." Yoongi said tiredly, he didn't want to deal with anybody having a mental breakdown. For all he cared, they could break down after everyone separated at the asylum.

  Taehyung stared at subject three repulsed. His chest blossomed with bitterness, it ran through his body and left its toxic tendrils all over his mind. "I don't want to. I don't care how childish that makes me seem. I don't want to be here with-" he shut his mouth and shook his head. It was too tiring to string together everything he felt. 

  When he thought of himself, he could almost see his skin changing, morphing into something grotesque. He could feel his soul being torn and thrown away, as everything he knew was being abandoned. He could never get it back, everything he risked himself for, it was all gone. He had tried hard to get where he was. He stayed up, living off of energy drinks so he could excel. He spent too much time in the gym, working until he was in the med room so he would be seen as strong. Everything he had done was wasted. There was nothing left for him, and these people, these things were asking to accept the change. They were asking him to be joyful in the face of eternity.

  He wouldn't.

  Taehyung ripped his hand from Jungkooks grasp and shook his head. He didn't want to deal with this. He wished he could just be gone. He closed his eyes and felt his body warp. He was being embraced by darkness. He could feel the same logic that confused him early whispering in his ear. He suddenly understood why he couldn't look up, because up didn't exist. Nothing existed but the darkness. It was as though the train had disappeared. For a moment he could feel Jungkook, nobody existed, but the darkness acknowledged Jungkook, so he did as well.

But then he was alone.

  Taehyung opened his eyes and screamed as he plummeted. Instead of metal below him it was water. He felt his stomach flying into his throat as his mind spun, not fully understanding what was happening. His chest smacked into the cold water of the lake audibly and he screamed, taking in water as he struggled to swim. His eyes burned from the ice water assaulting them and his hand twitched as something down his arm. He gagged, swallowing more water as he thrashed, trying to reach the surface.

  His back hit the metal floor of the train and he chocked, unable to get air through all the water in his lungs. He could faintly hear Namjoon through the ringing in his ears. He could feel pressure on his chest before he puked up all of the water.

  "You're an idiot, Kim Taehyung!" Namjoon smacked his chest, ignoring the red mark he left on the frozen skin.

  "Apparently." Taehyung croaked out. He couldn't believe his luck. He just had to be a teleporter.