chapter 19

Jungkook sat in the bed they had given him, the sheets felt coarse and uncomfortable to him. Everytime he tried to relax he felt, stress he didn't know why. He could hear Taehyung shuffling around in the washroom, being obnoxiously loud. It had taken Seokjin awhile to convince the attendents to let them sleep together but eventually he did and now Jungkook was stuck in a room with the techie.

  "We aren't going to be around much longer. Together I mean." Jungkook rubbed the back of his head as he yelled at the bathroom. "Is there anything I can do for you? To make it easier? I can always show you how the void works. You can use it to sense other void users."

  "I figured," Taehyung spoke through his toothbrush as he peaked his head out from the washroom. His eyes closed for a moment and he stumbled, hitting the wall. Jungkook bounced off his bed to help the boy only to get a harsh glare. "Leave me alone," Taehyung spat past his toothbrush before wandering back into the washroom to finish.

  "We're stuck together for at least another night. Can't you just try?" Jungkook burrowed under the covers and sighed watching as Taehyung slunk out of the washroom with a yawn. "We should get to know each other more."

  "What are doing? Having a sleepover?" Taehyung scoffed as he burrowed himself under the covers of the other bed.

  "We escaped together, shouldn't we try to be friends?" Jungkook sighed when the only reaction he got was Taehyung turning off the light. "I remember a bit about my family, I know my mother would always make us cookies for the weekend. I remember how excited I would get every Friday. I used to brag to the other kids at school, saying my mom worked with the sugar plum fairy to get us the best cookies. It was stupid, I know that now. But I believed it."

  "That's really stupid." Taehyung scoffed and moved so his back was facing Jungkook.

  "Even after I got taken in I was still taught you know, by Primatech. They had a special teacher for the kids like me. She was nice, I remember every Thursday she would let us watch a movie. She let us take a break from the lessons. Cause all we did was learn you know. We were all hooked up so the scientists could read our vitals as we reached puberty. But the whole time we had math and science and stuff stuffed into our heads."

  "I know." Taehyung sounded bored as he stared at the wall.

  "I really liked movie days. She would only bring in musicals, she said it was the one subject we never got to learn that we should. We always danced to whatever was played. I learnt all of the dances from Singing in the Rain." Jungkook went quiet waiting to see if Taehyung would respond. "Once a month we would get to have normal food too, like pizza. I loved pizza."

  "Pasta is better." Taehyung scoffed and glared in front of him.

  "I have never had it." Jungkook looked up at the ceiling, giving up trying to open up to Taehyung.

  "It's my favourite. There's a good chinese noodle dish, jajangmyun. You eat it with pickled radish." Taehyung trailed off as he thought about it. "Uncle always made that for me after a test." He clenched his jaw enough to make his mouth ache. "That's all you're getting out of me so shut up, okay? Equivalent exchange."

  "Alright." Jungkook beamed into the darkness. Sure it hurt to be shoved away like that, but he had made progress and that was saying something. "Goodnight Tae." All he got was a grunt. He waited a few more minutes before closing his eyes, he would try again tomorrow.

  Jungkook moaned softly when he heard the door shut with a bang. He sat up instantly and scrambled for the light turning it on to find the room empty. Taehyung had left.

  He should have crawled back in bed, but instead he found slippers on his feet and himself following the echoes of the void to follow Taehyung. He quietly snuck through the halls until he found himself walking on the beach. He saw Taehyung standing silently on the beach, staring up at the moon peacefully. Before he could get up and approach Taehyung, he saw the assistant that helped them with their forms walk up to Taehyung.

  "Did you tell Major I got them over here?" Taehyung sighed and pressed his fingers to his forehead, trying to not look like he was about to passout. Jungkook went silent and gulped, bolting behind a rock.

  "Of course. We already have people heading to the rooms of the subjects. They'll drug them and ship them back to Primatech for the program." The woman spoke in the same bland voice she had when she registered Jungkook. "You're lucky Subject five didn't know about the asylum."

  "I know, Namjoon was never told for a reason." Taehyung stretched his arms out and Jungkook cursed when he saw his space to run to the entrance was in view of the two. He had no space to run and warn the others. "I had to kill Siwon so he wouldn't take them to the real one. We're lucky he only had the map to this one." Jungkook gaped at the sand in front of him. How did Taehyung kill Siwon? He could barely even think clearly because of his abilities!"

  "We didn't anticipate them attacking you two and a civilian to ensure safe transportation." The woman sighed heavily. "How is your concussion?"

  "Decent." Taehyung sighed and rubbed the back of his head. He had lied away his maturation of abilities with a concussion, clever, but it disgusted Jungkook. "I had a hard time getting Siwon alone. I am amazed I managed it. The rest was instinct, I didn't need to be coherent to remember my training."

  "Major was right to choose you as his student." The woman smiled, her teeth looking like knives in the moonlight.

  "The night isn't over yet, we still have to remove them without the mutants noticing. We can't let it out that this is a Primatech facility." Taehyung clicked his tongue and sighed when he stumbled. She reached out and steadied him with a frown. "I'm fine, the concussion is just messing with me a bit. Look, be careful with Yoongi, he is emotional so his abilities are more likely to manifest despite being unconscious."

  "Yoongi?"

  "Subject Three." Taehyung sounded tired as he spoke. Jungkook used to care, but all he cared about right then was the safe path he had to the entrance. This whole situation was screwed up, he had to warn the others. "Whatever, just be careful with him and the rest okay? Nam- Subject Five is least likely to manifest abilities while drugged."

  Jungkook looked over at them and breathed a sigh of relief that they were looking out at the ocean, he could run back safely. The youngest subject pulled off his slippers and bolted across the sand, he fell onto the ground when two Primatech workers walked through the entrance blocking his way. He cursed as he heard them yelling. He could hear the woman telling the men to detain him. He could hear them charging up their electric batons. He could hear himself screaming. But he never heard Taehyung's voice once before he lost consciousness.