Chapter 7: The Journey

As Mr. Beaver, Mrs. Beaver, Peter, Susan, Lucy, and I walked across a bridge of rocks between two mountains of rocks, we stopped to look at the view. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was so very far. "Now, Aslan's camp is near the Stone Table just across the frozen river." "River?" Peter echoed, questionably, looking at the beavers. "Oh, the river's been frozen solid for a hundred years." Mrs. Beaver told him, and we all looked back at the view. It's so far. "It's so far." I voiced my thoughts. "It's the world, dear. Did you expect it to be small?" Mrs. Beaver said. "Smaller." Susan said before we continued on our journey.

       We were walking across a large open area, covered with snow, headed towards a snow covered forest. Mr. and Mrs. Beaver in the front, Susan behind them, then Lucy, then Peter, and lastly me. I was lagging behind a bit, tired. We had been walking for hours. Now, I was an in shape kid, but I was only five years old. My legs felt like they would give out any second, and I had a headache. "Come on, humans! While we're still young." Mr. Beaver rushed us. Peter glanced behind him, and noticed how tired I was. He stopped walking and so did Susan and Lucy. He leaned down for me to get on his back as he said. "If he tells us to hurry up one more time, I'm gonna turn him into a big, fluffy hat." I was now on his back and we had continued walking. I was so happy I wasn't walking anymore. I was so tired—no, tired wasn't what I was—exhausted, that was more like it. I rested my head on my brother's shoulder as I relished my break. "Hurry up! Come on!" Mr. Beaver yelled at us, urgency in his voice, but apparently I was the only one out of me and my siblings to notice. I raised my head, wondering why he was rushing us so urgently. "He is getting a little bossy." Lucy said. "No, behind you! It's her!" Peter turned around to glance behind us, and sure enough, a sleigh was heading straight for us. Peter swung me off his back and grabbed my hand before we broke off in a sprint. I was still exhausted, but adrenaline kept my body running. Ahead of us, Susan and Lucy were running, holding hands. I didn't think we'd make it to the forest, but, to my surprise, we did! Soon we were passing trees, and I yelped when I was suddenly tugged back. Since I was holding hands with Peter, he stopped too. My head whipped around to see what had stopped me. A tree had caught onto the sleeve of my coat. I started tugging at my coat, trying to get unstuck, as I looked at Peter in alarm. The sleigh was getting closer and closer by the second. Peter started tugging at my sleeve as well, no luck. The sleigh was getting alarmingly close, when a solution came to me. I quickly took my arm out of the sleeve, and then squared around, freeing myself from my coat, before Peter grabbed my hand again and we ran off, forgetting about my coat in our rush. "Come on!" Susan yelled from a cave underneath a piece of land that went over it, completely covering it, so from above you could not see it. We dived in there, and I could feel my heart racing. Peter held me close to him, as the jingling came to a stop right above us, and I held my breath. Snow was pushed off the ledge from above, as somebody walked above us. We could see the person's shadow. It looked a little big for the description of the Witch I had heard, but, then again, I had never seen her so I didn't know. Soon the shadow disappeared and we heard a little jingling. Mr. Beaver sniffed the air and a few seconds later Lucy said. "Maybe she's gone." "I suppose I'll go look." Peter said and started getting up, but I grabbed onto his sleeve, not letting him go as Mr. Beaver said. "No!" I can't lose Peter. Not after Edmund. I can't lose another brother. I don't think I'd survive that. "You're worth nothing to Narnia dead." Mr. Beaver whispered to Peter and he sat back down. I clutched onto Peter's sleeve, just in case Peter changed his mind. I couldn't let him go. I just couldn't. Mr. Beaver started to leave to go check. "Well, neither are you, Beaver." Mrs. Beaver told her husband. Mr. Beaver grabbed her hand, lovingly, and said. "Thanks, Sweetheart." But he continued up anyways. We waited a few seconds, and I was worried. Then we heard a noise. "What's that? What's-" Lucy said and Susan cut her off, 'shh'ing her. We heard footsteps above and my worry increased. Then Mr. Beaver's head popped down from above. I shrieked and hid my head in my brother's chest. Because all I saw was Mr. Beaver's head, I thought his head had been cut off by the Witch. That is, until I heard him speak. "Come out! Come out! I hope you've all been good 'cause there's someone here to see you!" Mr. Beaver told us and I was confused. We all got up, and walked above the cave. Once I saw who was there, I gasped in surprise and excitement. "Santa!" I exclaimed and let go of Peter's hand to walk up to him. "Merry Christmas, Sir." I said, grinning, for what seemed like the first time since we got to Narnia. Santa chuckled. "It certainly is, Katerina, since you have arrived." Susan looked at Peter. "Look, I've put up with a lot since I got here, but this..." She trailed off and Peter jumped in, addressing Santa. "We thought you were the Witch." He explained why we were running away. "Yes, yes. I'm sorry about that, but in my defence, I have been driving one of these longer than the Witch." Santa said, talking about the sleigh, as he took his gloves off. True. "I thought there was no Christmas in Narnia." Susan said, remembering what Lucy and I had told her on the way to Mr. Tumnus', as she, Lucy and Peter walked up and stood next to me. "No. For a long time. But the hope that you have brought, Your Majesties, is finally starting to weaken the Witch's power. Still, I dare say you could do with these." Santa said and took the sack of presents from the back fo the sleigh and put it on the ground beside him. "Presents!" Lucy and I exclaimed, and I stepped forward. He grabbed two items from the bag and held one out in front of me: it was a necklace.

 He grabbed two items from the bag and held one out in front of me: it was a necklace

"This necklace is magical. Touch it with your hand, and whoever you think of, you will see where they are and what they are doing. So that even if you are ever alone, you will not truly be. You have to think of their name and face for it to work." Santa handed me the necklace and I put it over my head and it rested on my neck. I can use this to see Edmund. Then he showed me the other item. "And though, I hope you will never have to use it..." He handed me this:

A belt, with a dagger, and a sleeve that attaches to the belt for the dagger

A belt, with a dagger, and a sleeve that attaches to the belt for the dagger. I looked down at my dagger as I said. "Oh, thank you, Sir. I don't know if I'm brave enough, though." I told him. "I'm sure you are brave enough, but let's just hope it never comes to that." Santa replied and I stepped back to my place between my siblings. I put the belt on and put the dagger in its sleeve, which was on the belt as Lucy walked up to Santa. Then I did what I originally thought about when I got the necklace and touched the necklace with my hand.

Edmund.

Suddenly I wasn't with Lucy, Susan, Peter, Mr. Beaver, Mrs. Beaver, and Santa anymore, I was looking down at a forest with a bird's eye view. I wasn't that high though, I wasn't even above the trees. I was flying along looking down, and what I saw frightened me. There was a sleigh, and who I assumed was the White Witch was on the seat with a staff. Just looking at her, made me feel ten degrees colder. The sleigh was being pulled my white horses, and the driver was a dwarf. But what scared me the most, was Edmund. He was on the floor of the sleigh, in front of the Witch. He had his legs pulled up to his chest, with his arms around them. He looked terrified, though he was hiding it well. To others he just looked frightened, but I knew him better than almost anyone. He looked so small, it scared me. Not small in size, but small in strength. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder and I was brought back to where I physically was, with Santa, Mrs. Beaver, Mr. Beaver, Peter, Susan, and Lucy.

I opened my eyes and saw Peter standing in front of Santa. Santa was holding out a sword and shield to him. "The time to use these may be neat at hand." Santa told him. Peter unsheathed the sword as I looked to my right. Lucy was the one who put her hand on my shoulder. "Are you okay?" She asked. I nodded, lying, not trusting myself to speak because I knew if I did I would burst out sobbing. Santa's voice caused me to look at him. "These are tools, not toys. Bear them well and wisely." Peter sheathed his sword and Santa said. "Now, I must be off. Winter is almost over, and things do pile up when you've been gone a hundred years." Santa picked up the sack of toys and put it back in his sleigh. "Long live Aslan!" Santa said and got in his sleigh. "And Merry Christmas!" He exclaimed and rode off. "Merry Christmas!" All my siblings yelled, and I would've too if I wasn't so shaken up over Edmund. I looked at my siblings as they waved. Susan had a bow and arrows, and a horn, and Lucy had the same belt and dagger as me, plus a vile of liquid. I made a mental note to ask her about that later. "Told you he was real." Lucy said to Susan. "He said winter was almost over. You know what that means." Peter said and we just looked at him, confused. "No more ice."