Chapter 8: The River

We were on top of a cliff, looking down at the "frozen" river. Only the part closest to the frozen waterfall was frozen, now. And pieces were breaking off. We had to hurry to get across. Before we left where we were, we went back and grabbed my coat, so I was now wearing it. The only thing was, the sleeve was ripped. On the way to the river, I had told my siblings about what I saw with Edmund, leaving out how terrified he looked. Susan had told me about her gifts. Her bow and arrow would not miss if she believed in them. Her horn would call for help no matter where the rest of us were, just in case she got in trouble. Lucy also told me about her gift. She had the same dagger and belt as me, and the bike of liquid was juice from the fire-flower. One drop would cure any injury. "We need to cross, now!" Peter told us, looking at the river. "Don't beavers make dams?" Lucy asked Mr. and Mrs. Beaver. "I'm not that fast, dear." Mr. Beaver answered. "Come on!" Peter exclaimed and grabbed my hand, pulling me along with him. "Wait! Will you think about this for a minute?" Susan asked, and we stopped. "Susan, we don't have a minute." I told her. "I'm just trying to be realistic." Susan defended herself. "No, you're trying to be smart. As usual." Peter said, and we continued walking down the path down the cliff. Susan stood there for a few seconds, probably offended, but followed us once we heard howling. That meant the wolves weren't far behind and we really needed to pick up the pace. I wanted to touch my necklace and see Edmund again, but when I touch my necklace I can't see where I physically am, and I stop moving, and we didn't have time for that now. Peter helped Lucy and I get down the path, as it was steep and dangerous. Soon, we were at the bottom and there was even less room to walk than there was before. Peter stepped one foot onto the ice, and it cracked, so he immediately retracted his foot. "Wait. Maybe I should go first." Mr. Beaver told him. "Maybe you should." Peter agreed. Mr. Beaver started walking across, hitting it with his tail to test it out. Some parts cracked under his weight. "You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?" Mrs. Beaver accused. "Well, you never know which meal's gonna be your last. Especially with your cooking." Mr. Beaver replied and Mrs. Beaver started to follow her husband. It was getting narrower and narrower, we had to cross it now. Peter saw that as well, and he started onto the ice, holding my hand, so I was beside him. We walked slowly and carefully, with Susan and Lucy walking behind us. A piece broke off underneath my foot and I shrieked, clinging to my brother's arm. We continued walking, but we weren't even a quarter of the way yet. "If Mum knew what we were doing..." Susan trailed off. Peter turned to look at her. "Mum's not here." Then he turned back to face forward and we continued walking. "Oh, no!" Lucy shrieked and we followed her gaze. Up above the waterfall, the wolves were running across. "Come on!" Peter told us, and we started running, but we still had to do it carefully. "Hurry!" Susan yelled. Why are they yelling? As if I'm not going to run as fast as I can, as wolves chase us! We were only halfway across when the wolves jumped down the cliff.  Now they were in front of us. I screamed, terrified. We looked behind us, but there were wolves there, as well. We were trapped. Mr. Beaver growled at the wolf, bad move. He grunted as a wolf jumped on top of him, keeping him down with his paw. Peter unsheathed his sword and pointed it at the lead wolf, who walked towards us, talking. "Put that down, boy. Someone could get hurt." "Don't worry about me! Run him through!" Mr. Beaver yelled at Peter. "Leave now while you can, and your brother leaves with you." The lead wolf kept slowly walking towards us, and we slowing backed away, Susan, Lucy, and I behind Peter. "Stop, Peter! Maybe we should listen to him!" Susan yelled, looking at him. The lead wolf chuckled. "Smart girl." There's no way he's telling us the truth. It's a lie. I can tell. Like Mr. Beaver told us, the Witch just wants to kill us. "Don't listen to him! Kill him! Kill him now!" Mr. Beaver yelled. "Oh, come on. This isn't your war. All my Queen wants is for you to take your family and go." The lead wolf said. Lie. I glanced behind us, the ice had broken, leaving a barrier of water between us and the other wolves. "Look, just because some man in a red coat hands you a sword, it doesn't make you a hero! Just drop it!" Susan yelled at Peter, and he glanced at her. "No, Peter! Don't! He's lying!" I yelled at my older brother, and he glanced down at me, who was beside Lucy, who was beside him. "What's it gonna be, Son if Adam? I won't wait forever. And neither will the river." The lead wolf said, dangerously close to us. I heard rumbling and looked up. "Peter!" I shrieked, looking up at the waterfall. Water was breaking through the ice, soon all the ice would fall down and crash into the ice we were on. Peter, Lucy, and Susan looked up and saw what I did. Peter started breathing heavily as he looked around, desperate to find a way to save us. "Hold onto me!" Peter ordered us, and Susan and Lucy held onto him, and I held onto Lucy, as he slammed his sword down in the piece of ice we were on. There was a crack surrounding it, so when it broke the sword would still be stuck in it. We looked up in fear, as the ice came crashing down. Lucy, Susan, and I screamed as a ginormous wave came crashing over us, encasing us underwater. I held my breath, as I held onto Lucy for dear life. After a few seconds, we came back up to the surface, me still holding onto Lucy. Lucy and Susan holding onto Peter, who held onto his sword. I took a deep breath, thankful for air. I shouted as I started slipping off of the ice. Peter grabbed my coat and pulled me back on. The water was rough, and it was a very bumpy ride. When we hit one of the bumps, I fell off the piece of ice, going unnoticed by by siblings. I took a deep breath, before I was underwater again. The water was freezing. Even though I had my pink coat on, it didn't help very much for the temperature. I started freaking out, I didn't know how to swim! I flipped my arms wildly and desperately, trying to get above water, if just for two seconds to get air. After about twenty seconds, I finally made it to the surface, but the water was still rough and the current was taking me down the river. I took a deep breath and screamed. "PETER!!" I glanced Peter, Susan, and Lucy on land, looking around. They had been yelling my name before I got to the surface, but I couldn't hear them. Peter's head whipped towards where he heard my scream, and saw me struggling to stay above water. He immediately went into protective-brother-mode and dived into the water. A wave pushed me back underwater, and I choked. I hadn't closed my mouth before I was pushed underwater, and by accident I swallowed water. Water was now in my lungs, and I couldn't breathe. I struggled for a few seconds before I felt myself losing conciseness. The last thing I remember is Peter grabbing me and pulling me up from the water, before I completely blacked out.

Cough. Cough. I spat out water before I opened up my eyes. Above me was Peter, Susan, and Lucy. Before I could even process what had happened, I was pulled into the tightest hug I had ever been given. I hugged Peter back, with all the strength I could muster as I looked around. We were beside the river, where I had seen my siblings when I was in it. Then I felt arms wrap around me from behind, other than Peter's. Susan and Lucy had joined the hug, hugging me from behind. After what seemed like hours, but in reality was only minutes, Lucy and Susan pulled back. I didn't stop hugging Peter, though. "Are you okay?" He whispered. I nodded, and then realized he couldn't see me nodding. "Yes. Just tired." I answered him. "Then, sleep. I will wake you when we get there." Peter told him, and I nodded again. "Thanks, Bro. I love you." I told him. "I love you, too. Sleep, now." He told me, standing up, keeping me in his arms. I listened to my brothers advice and laid my head on one of his shoulders. With one hand, I had it around my brother's neck, and the other hand, I had it on my necklace. I fell into a deep sleep, my last thought being:

Edmund.