Chapter 11:

I woke-up the next morning still completely fuming about the previous nights events.

If someone even mentioned the name Thomas Shelby today i was ready to scream.

I'd woken up extra early because of 2 factors: Z had gotten in late last night and i knew she wouldn't be waking up for the morning shift, and also to get my mind off my affectionate and somewhat repulsive feelings towards Tommy fucking Shelby.

The flow of customers at Jones' Betting Business (and Jones' Lingerie Business) had been fairly slow all morning so I tried to occupy my bored mind by reorganising our betting slips.

Just as i was about half way through, an unfamiliar man burst into the shop. He sported a smart navy suit matched with a navy hat, a wooden cane with a gold handle, and a suspicious look in his eyes.

He leisurely made his way over to the desk, taking in every inch and detail of the shop. The man smiled warmly, placing his hat on the desk, but the gesture didn't seem genuine.

'My names Mr Campbell, I take it you're new to Birmingham?' He held out his hand which i shook tentatively.

'How could you tell?'

He chuckled. 'Call it bobby's intuition'

I raised an eyebrow. 'You're a policeman?'

'I'm an Inspector' He corrected and i nodded understandingly.

I had to stay calm; I had fooled government officials before and i could do it again, i just needed to relax.

'I'm here investigating the murder of two middle aged men, Teddy Sanchez and Robert Lloyd, ring any bells?'

The names didn't, but i knew exactly who he was talking about. He was investigating the death of the 2 rapists, the 2 rapists i'd shot and killed when they tried to attack me and Ada.

I shook my head. 'No, never heard of them'

He nodded, pulling out a pen and pad scribbling something down.

'The bodies were found down at the docks, someone dumped them there a couple of days ago. Miss Jones, where were you on Friday the 19th at around 3am?'

'I was out with my friend Ada, we were up town dancing' I nodded.

'Ada Shelby?' He raised an eyebrow, his face becoming somewhat harsh and red.

I nodded again, not quite understanding his sudden change is demeanour. He continued to write things down in his notepad, but i knew he had nothing solid on me.

He pointed the pen in my direction and tilted his head. 'That's quite a deep cut on your cheek, how'd you get that?'

I ran my fingertips across the healing wound. The only evidence left from the attack, when my rapist clocked me on the cheek for screaming too loud.

I chuckled. 'Oh this silly thing? I accidentally walked into one of my kitchen cabinets. I'm always doing clumsy things like that'

He nodded slowly, his eyes watching me intently. 'It looks like someone hit you, been in any fights recently Miss Jones?'

I crossed my arms, not liking the direction this conversation was going in.

'Exactly what are you trying to imply Mr Campbell?'

He ignored my question and nodded in the direction of my hands. 'Your knuckles look pretty battered and bruised, did the kitchen cabinet do that too?'

I took my hands off the desk and stood my ground. 'Mr Campbell, you came here to ask me my whereabouts on Friday 19th at 3am which i gladly gave you, for you to make anymore assumptions or interrogate me any further you will have to make an arrest'