Chapter 32:

We arrived at Ada's to see that everybody else was already there. We took off our coats and made our way into the living room to sit amongst the group.

'This better be good Ada' Tommy said following me into the room. 'This little meeting of yours interrupted mine and em's alone time'

He smacked me lightly on the bum and smirked, making me squeal in the process.

'Alright, let's not rub it in you two' Arthur pouted as me and Tommy squeezed in next to Zelda and Michael on the settee.

'Aw don't worry Arth' I cooed. 'You'll find a nice girl eventually'

'That's the thing' He said shaking his head. 'I don't want a nice girl'

'Then what do you want?' John chuckled, cuddling up to Esme on his lap.

'I want a nice WOMAN' He corrected, causing the group to erupt in 'oooooo's.

I nodded smirking knowingly. 

'Leave it to me Arth. I have someone in mind that would be perfect for you'

Just as he was about to reply, we were interrupted my Ada and Freddie making their way into the room. The atmosphere shifted slightly as the group's eyes landed on Freddie. It wasn't as if he was downright hated by everybody, I mean I personally had nothing against the man, but what with his communist links, his rocky history with Tommy, and his negative attitude towards the Peaky Blinder's, he wasn't exactly well-liked. 

However, his company was tolerated for the sake of Ada and her happiness, but even I knew that that toleration wasn't gonna last forever.

Ada and Freddie enlaced their fingers and addressed the room.

Ada smiled, her eyes giddy with happiness.

'I'm glad you all could come at such short notice'

'You didn't really give us much choice' Pol teased, causing Ada to send her daggers.

'As I was saying' She turned and grinned at Freddie. 'We both called you here because we have something we want to announce'

I'd never seen her look so happy.

She was almost glowing with joy.

'ME AND FREDDIE ARE ENGAGED!' She squealed, holding up her hand to show off the diamond-encrusted ring.

I screamed and jumped up in excitement, pulling the loved-up couple into a tight hug. 

'I'm so happy for you!!'

But it seemed like I was the only one.

The rest of the room remained silent, looks of disbelief and disdain overshadowing everyone's faces.

Trying to distract Ada from the more than disappointing response from her family, me and Zelda grabbed her hand and examined the glittering ring.

'You've really outdone yourself with this one Freddie' He smiled as I continued. 'It's a real beauty' I grinned looking at the two of them, love shining on both their faces. 

'You two are going to make each other so happy. I can already see it'

Zelda nodded in agreement, however, I could tell she was a little weary of the tension in the room.

Freddie smiled appreciatively and pulled me into a tight hug.

'Thanks Em. It means a lot'

It was then that Tommy stood up, a look of disgust on his face. He started clapping his hands in a slow, sarcastic manner, making the rest of the room go silent.