Chapter 19:

*Pre-warning: sensitive content in this chapter. Mentions of rape and sexual abuse*

I gathered everybody in the small space of Jones Betting Business and poured my heart out. I told them everything: my brother, the Kings, why I came to Birmingham - everything.

Peoples reactions differed.

Out of everyone, I was most pleased with Zelda's response. She wasn't angry or upset with me, just happy that I'd finally let her know who I really was.

I knew it was gonna take time for people to get used to what I had told them and I was willing to wait if they needed time.

This notion was especially prevalent with Tommy.

No-one had heard from him all afternoon, and as night started to fall I couldn't help but worry.

The time was currently 1am and I was still wide awake. Knowing that my brother was in Birmingham put my teeth on edge and I knew this wouldn't be my first sleepless night. The prospect of a possible turf war was also keeping my mind awake. I didn't want to take sides because I could see the reasons behind both causes. On the one hand the Kings had the right to defend the territory they had worked hard and long for, however George was a monster and the havoc the Kings had been causing recently down south needed to stop. On the other hand the Shelby's had a right to expand their territory and I felt they would be a positive influence in London compared to the tyranny of the Kings - but were the pubs really theirs to take?

Of course I was leaning more towards the side of the Peaky Blinders, mainly due to my blind hatred of George, but I had to remind myself to stay out of the situation because gang warfare was not a part of my life anymore.

I couldn't lose someone I cared about.

Not again.

My train of thought was interrupted by a knock downstairs on the shop door.

I grabbed my gun and threw on my nightgown before making my way downstairs.

I undid the lock and unhooked the chain, opening the door a jar so i could peak out and see who it was.

To my surprise it was Tommy.

He stubbed out the cigarette he had previously been smoking before looking up to meet my eyes.

'Can I come in?'

I nodded opening up the door so he could fit through. I shut the door behind him and crossed my arms, curious as to what had sparked this late-night visit.

He raised an eyebrow.

'Are you aware that there are 2 men watching the shop?'

I nodded tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

'It's William and Phil. I'm assuming George sent them to make sure I don't get into any trouble'

'What about this' He said inching closer to where I stood. 'Does this count as trouble?'

I couldn't stop the small smile that spread across my lips.

'It depends'

He reached forward and grabbed me by the hips, pulling me into him.

'I wanted to say I'm sorry for the way I acted earlier. As much as it pissed me off that you didn't tell me sooner, I do believe you'

It was a killing me to suppress the smile that was dying to spread itself across my lips, but I wanted to watch him squirm for just a little longer.

He pulled me closer his eyes watching me intently.

'So' He asked skimming his nose against mine. 'Am I forgiven?'