Chapter 26:

The door shut behind Tommy and the boys and I knew it was go time.

I overhead this morning that the 2 gangs were planning to meet down by the docks, it being a safe distance away from any straggling civilians, plus the bobby's down there were on the Blinder's payroll, so it was the best bet for a Brummie win.

I sighed, mentally preparing myself for what I was about to do.

If this didn't work a lot of people were going to get hurt, so I needed fate to be on my side.

After one last confidence boost, I nodded my head and made my way towards the front door.

However before I could reach for the handle, Timothy jumped out of nowhere and blocked my path.

'I can't let you leave Emily' He said crossing his arms in front of me.

It was the most I'd ever heard him say, and I was happy he was finally coming out of his shell, however this was neither the time nor place.

'Timothy move' I said sternly. 'What i'm about to do is bigger than all of us'

He shook his head, but I could tell by the timid look in his eyes that he was wavering a little under my authority.

'I can't let you leave. I'm under strict instructions from Tommy to keep you inside until the warfare is over'

I shook my head sucking my teeth. I should have known Tommy would pull something like this. Even after I told him I was 'ok' with everything that was happening he still felt the need to go behind my back and not trust me.

But look at what you're doing.

I rolled my eyes at the little voice in the back of my head.

Tommy knew me better than I knew myself, no matter how much I hated to admit it.

I sighed starting to get impatient with Jeremy.

I reached for the door handle but he blocked my path again.

I admired his persistence, but I was on a timed schedule.

I looked up at him and sighed.

'You're not really gonna make me do this are you?'

'Do what?' He asked furrowing his eyebrows, but before he could hear my answer I reached back and punched him square in the face. Jeremy fell to the floor in a heap, my punch knocking him out cold. It was a little trick my dad taught me before he died; at least this way Jeremy wouldn't get in as much trouble with Tommy for letting me go.

I stepped over his body and quietly shut the front door behind me, being careful not to alert the girls of my disappearance.

The sun had begun to set and I still had a good 10 minutes to go until I reached my destination, so I quickly set off towards the docks. My heart began to beat more and more rapidly as I slowly approached the battleground.

Was what I was doing dangerous? Yes.

Was it one of my smartest plans? No.

Did it need to happen anyway? Abso-fucking-loutely.

I was not gonna stand by passively and let loved ones die over something as stupid as a turf war.

The cold wind was getting sharper in the air signaling I was close to the docks. My breathing was becoming uneasy, but I knew this had to be done.

I walked further and further down Herald Street until I saw the two gangs. They stood at opposite ends of the road, fully loaded with guns, rifles, and pistols. The dim street-lamps revealed that the Kings had more men, but the Shelby's had more weaponry.