Chapter 22:

We drove up to the venue to see that the Lee's had already arrived. The wedding was outdoors surrounded by various gypsey caravans and horses, however the actual reception was to happen under a huge gazebo. It was a pretty scene to look at that was for sure. The sides of the gazebo were adorned with dozens of white roses, while each table had a dimly lit candle on it, giving the venue a romantic feel to it.

Pol came up behind me and threw on her fur coat.

'That's the thing about us gypsies, we know how to pull off a good party'

I grinned as the rest of the Shelby clan climbed out the car. If I thought John looked nervous before it was nothing compared to how nervous he looked now.

Arthur slapped him on the back lighting up a cigar. 'John you really need to calm down, it's just a wedding. If worse comes to worse you can always cheat'

Ada rolled her eyes at the comment.

'Always the romantic Arthur'

This caused Arthur to shove Ada playfully, resulting in one of their many sibling spats. I tried to pay attention to what was happening but I couldn't stop my eyes from wandering to where Tommy was. He was making his way over to what looked like the leader of the Lee's, his demeanor hard and expressionless. Although the whole reason behind this wedding was to secure an alliance between the Lee's and the Shelby's, neither one of the two families seemed particularly pleased by the idea. But I guess that was business. 

My lips twisted as the reason behind this alliance flashed through my mind again.

Was Tommy really willing to go to war with the Kings?

If he was then things were about to get very dangerous in Birmingham.

Although the Peaky Blinder's were growing in numbers and influence every day, it was nothing compared to the power the Kings held.

I could feel my breathing getting more un-even the more I thought about it.

I didn't want any of this. The thought of a turf war was too much for me to handle. I'd seen it happen before and it was not a pretty sight to see.

People were going to die.

Was it really worth all the pain, suffering, and death?

I shook my head trying to rid my mind of the stress the situation was causing me. I was here to have a good time not drive my self-insane with worry.

Alchohol. That 's what I needed.

I looked around the venue until I found where the source of alcohol was coming from. I honed in on the open cart filled to the brim with ice and liquor. I grabbed a bottle of beer and cracked it open on the side of the cart before chugging half the contents down in one gulp.

'Impressive'

I hadn't even realized I was being watched until I heard the low voice. It was one of the Lee men; he looked like he was in his mid 20's and had friendly green eyes. He was good looking I'm not gonna lie, he just wasn't my type.

'Thanks' I smiled as he stood next to me.

'I'm Edd' He grinned holding out his hand.

'Emily' I replied shaking it.

'You a Shelby?' He asked raising an eyebrow.

'No, just a family friend. But I know you're a Lee' I answered.

'What gave it away?' He chuckled.

I pointed to his blazer which had 'Lee ' embroidered on the pocket. I smirked. 'Let's just call it a hunch'