FIVE

Five | papers

I ran down the stairs as quickly as quickly as I could, trying to catch up with Steve and Maria who were going downstairs.

"-metal man, or men, coming in and emptying the place," I heard Maria say.

"Fatalities?" Steve asked.

"Only when engaged," Maria replied. "Mostly guys left in a fugue state going on about old memories, worst fears, and something too fast to see."

"Maximoff's," Steve said. "Well, that makes sense he'd go to them, they have someone in common."

"Not anymore," I said, finally catching up to them. Maria handed Steve a tablet showing photo of Strucker's dead body with the word PEACE written in blood on the wall behind him.

"Tony mentioned that your assignment was to find more information about the Maximoff's-"

"Enhanced," I corrected him.

"Then you should know more about the than we do," Steve continued with a nod. "You could be a lot of help to us."

"I don't know everything," I answered. "They were very thorough when it came to keeping those files hidden. They kept snippets of information in different HYDRA bases, like puzzle pieces. If we want the full picture, we need all the pieces."

"Well, for now, we're going to have to make do with what you know so far," Steve pointed at the tablet in his hands. "We need to show this to the others."

"That's a negative," We heard Clint's voice as we neared where he was speaking on his phone. "I answer to you. Yes, ma'am."

"Barton, we might have something," Steve interrupted.

"Gotta go," Clint said into the phone before pulling it away.

"Who was that?" Steve asked.

Clint shrugged, "Girlfriend." I raised an eyebrow at him before following Steve into the room.

After Steve gathered the rest of the team he showed them the photo of Strucker's body.

"What's this?" Tony asked.

"A message," Steve answered. "Ultron killed Strucker."

"And he did a Banksy at the crime scene, just for us," Tony mumbled.

"This is a smokescreen," Natasha said with a frown. "Why send a message when you've just given a speech?"

"Strucker knew something that Ultron wanted us to miss," Steve said.

"Yeah, I bet he..." she looked at the computer monitor. "Yep. Everything we had on Strucker has been erased."

"Not everything," Tony said.

A couple of minutes later, we were all going through the files that the team had on Strucker. I pulled the lid off of yet another box and pulled out a file, flipping through it to see whether there was anything useful.

"Known associates," Steve read from one of the files he held. "Well, Strucker had a lot of friends."

"Well, these people are all horrible," Bruce said as he peeked at the file in Steve's hand.

Tony also peeked over his shoulder and frowned as Steve flipped the page. "Wait. I know that guy," Bruce passed him the photo he was looking at. "From back in the day," Tony said, He operates off the African coast, black market arms.

Steve gave him an accusing look. "There are conventions, alright? You meet people, I didn't sell him anything," Tony quickly defended himself.

The picture was of a man named Ulysses Klaue. He didn't look like a decent person by a long shot.

"He was talking about finding something new, a game changer, it was all very 'Ahab'," Tony explained.

Thor pointed to the scar on the back of Klaue's neck. "This," he said looking at Tony.

"Uh, it's a tattoo," Tony mumbled. "I don't think he had it..."

Thor shook his head, "No, those are tattoos," he pointed. "This is a brand."

Dr Banner identified the brand on Klaue's neck on the computer. "Oh, yeah," he said as he peered at the screen. "It's a word in an African dialect meaning thief, in a much less friendly way."

"What dialect?" Steve asked, a nervous look crossing over his face.

"Wakanada...?" Dr Banner mumbled. He looked at the monitor squinting his eyes to see better.

"Do you mean Wakanda?" I asked quietly, finally understanding the look on Cap's face.

"Wa... Wa... Wakanda, yeah," Bruce answered turning to us.

"If this guy got out of Wakanda with some of their trade goods..." Tony mumbled nervously as he turned to Steve.

"I thought your father said he got the last of it?" Steve asked Tony.

"I don't follow," Dr Banner said, a confused look on his face. "What comes out of Wakanda?"

Tony looked at Steve's shield which was sat against the wall. "The strongest metal on earth," he mumbled.

"Vibranium," I said answering the unspoken question in the air.

Steve turned to Tony, "Where is this guy now?"

✳✳✳

I feel bad about this chapter. This was also pretty much all dialogue am little Clarke. But, you did get to see how she is involved in the mission. It's because of the Maximoff's. She knows more about them since it was her mission (assigned to her by Fury).
On a good note! Next chapter will probably have Pietro in it!
I need to slow down or I'll probably have this book done in ten chapters...
I know I mentioned a Peter Parker fanfic in the previous chapter, but, I am working on a Steve rogers fanfic now. It Should be up soon, please do check it out if you would like to!

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. Please consider giving me vote or leaving a comment to let me know what you think.
Thank you for reading!