TWENTY FIVE

Twenty five | hold on tight

Of course I shouldn't have thought the only threat we were facing was going to be an Android with twisted morals and it's army of robots. The sound of a loud crack made me tear my eyes away from Pietro. The ground shook under my feet causing me to grab the side of the bridge for balance.

What I saw before me was something I clearly hadn't anticipated. In fact, it was probably something non of us were expecting. The ground cracked and shook, throwing people off balance. I pushed myself away from the side of the bridge towards the middle where Clint was crouching down, holding onto a beam to keep his balance.

"Do you see?" Ultron voice said from one of the robots behind me. I shot an arrow at it and it fell only for another to take it's place. "The beauty of it, the inevitability. You rise, only to fall. You, Avengers, you are my meteor, my swift and terrible sword and the Earth will crack with the weight of your failure. Purge me from your computers, turn my own flesh against me. It means nothing. When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."

It seemed Ultron had something up his metal sleeves after all. That was clear now because the city was literally rising. We were only a couple of feet up at the moment, but we could be miles up in a few minutes for all we knew.

"Stark, you worry about bringing the city back down," Steve said through the comms. "The rest of us have one job: tear these things apart. You get hurt, hurt 'em back. You get killed, walk it off."

Once the shaking came to a stop, Clint didn't waste a second before pulling me up and calling for Wanda to follow us. We headed in the opposite direction, shooting arrows behind us as the robots followed close behind. Wanda pulled a small boy out from where he was crouching behind a car. She ducked, steering clear of the robots that were hot on her tail and closed her hand into a fist, crushing them using her powers.

There were obviously more of Ultron minions than we had anticipated. Whenever we took one down, ten more took it's place. That was probably why neither Wanda or I saw one of them shoot an explosive our way.

"Go go go!" Clint shouted as he pulled the two of us into a shed just before the grenade exploded where we had been standing only seconds ago. I felt a sharp pain on my forearm as the three of us crashed to the ground.

"How could I let this happen?" Wanda cried as we crawled deeper into the shed.

"Hey, hey, you okay?" Clint asked.

"This is all our fault," Wanda said, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Hey, look at me," Clint said, grabbing her shoulders. "It's your fault, it's everyone's fault, who cares. Are you up for this? Are you? Look, I just need to know, cause the city is flying. Okay, look, the city is flying, we're fighting an army of robots, and I have a bow and arrow. None of this makes sense."

Clint was interrupted when gunshots were fired close to where he was sitting. He pulled an arrow out and shot it out through the holes on the wall before turning his attention back to Wanda.

"But I'm going back out there because it's my job. Okay?" He continued. "And I can't do my job and babysit. It doesn't matter what you did, or what you were. If you go out there, you fight, and you fight to kill. Stay in here, you're good, I'll send your brother to come find you, but if you step out that door, you are an Avenger."

Wanda looked up at him.

"Alright, good chat." He stood up and glanced over at where I was sitting, trying to look at the wounds on my arm without the pain flaring. "You alright?"

"I'll live," I said, wincing as I pulled out a small metal shard from my arm and dropped it to the ground. He pulled me up and we walked to the door.

"Yeah, the city is flying." He mumbled under his breath. He pulled out an arrow and kicked the door open, shooting them at the robots who were waiting for someone to come out.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked Wanda as I wiped my hand on the my suit and pulled out an arrow myself.

She didn't say anything, only nodded. I gave her a reassuring smile before following Clint out.

We were busy shooting arrow after arrow into the swarm of robots when the doors to the shed burst open and Wanda walked out. She had a determined look on her face as she used her powers to rip apart the robots limb from limb.

Clint and I both smiled at her, smiles which she returned. I finally lowered my bow, feeling extremely tired. My missions were normally just recon and rarely required this much fighting.

"Alright, we're all clear here," Clint informed the others through the comms.

"We are not clear!" Steve shouted. "We are very not clear."

"Alright, coming to you," Clint said.

He hadn't even taken a step when a blue blur -which was Pietro- ran in and picked up Wanda before running off, shouting, "keep up old man," over his shoulder at Clint. I held a hand over my mouth to stiffle the laugh that threatened to escape my lips at that moment.

Clint pulled out an arrow, aiming it in the direction Pietro had gone. "Nobody would know. Nobody," he muttered, "The last I saw him, when Ultron was sitting on him. Uh... yeah, he'll be missed'," he mumbled in a mocking tone, "that quick little bastard. I miss him already."

He shook his head and put the arrow back and started jogging in the direction Pietro had gone. "You coming?" He called over his shoulder.

I nodded and made to follow him, but Pietro ran in again this time pulling me up into his arms.

"Hold on tight," he said before the whole world blurred around me.

✳✳✳

Ultron may be the bad guy but he gives a pretty good speech (and so does Steve but you know...) So, the gif up top may have Willa Holland with a hood and mask on (Thea!) but Clarke doesn't wear the hood or a mask. Other than that, her suit is the exact same (no, I'm not very creative)
Anyway, there's only one chapter left before the epilogue, so I thought it was about time I let you know that the epilogue won't be the end. I've had an alternate ending planned since I started writing this book, and there (probably) will be a bonus chapter (or maybe two) because I'm just not ready to end this book yet.

So, in case you haven't already memorized these few lines yet, please consider giving a vote or leaving a comment to let me know what you think!
Thanks for reading!

(Wow, I thought that would have gotten old by now...)