Chapter 5

Week Two: Sophomore Year

Jake looked at me and pulled me aside when we where heading to our weight training class. "What's up with you? You have been avoiding me for a while." I glared at him. My Squip said that if I talked to him that it would make the problem worse. The issue was...I didnt really know what the problem was.

"You dense kid, he tried to kiss you." The Squip said. I stopped in my tracks. Wait...what? Jake tried to kiss me. Jake gave me a weird look.

"You're creeping me out man." Jake said coming up to touch my shoulder. I flinched away and he pulled back.

"I-" so many things were swimming around my head. I just wanted the Squip to shut down.

Hello? Radio silence. Did it really work? Was it that easy?

Jake stood in front of me and looked at me concerned. "Look..." he sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Let's start over and ignore all the awkwardness, okay?" He offered me his hand. "Hi, I'm Jake Dillinger. I saw you in the hall and thought I'd say hello since we both take weight training." He smiled. I could tell he was trying. He wasn't a very good actor. Or maybe he was too good, because I found myself smiling back.

"Rich Goranski, small world, right?" I took his hand. Jake beamed at me and we talked all the way to our class. By the time our next class rolled around we were best friends again. The little incident forgotten in a high school mass of a happy hive mind.

Chloe met us in the halls. She glanced at me and kissed Jake. "Hey babe, hear about that rockin' party Ram is throwing tomorrow night? I heard it'll be big fun." She smiled sweetly. The gesture somehow made me sick.

"Can't tomorrow Chlo-flake, I promised Rich I'd help him study for the SATs tomorrow." Jake responded. I looked at him strangely but didn't say anything. I didn't ask Jake for SAT help. I had a Squip for that. I had no idea what he was planning, but if it was enough to turn down a party invitation it had better be wild.

Throughout the day I heard from the school gossip that the Heathers were bringing a new girl to the party who was suppose to be, like, super hot. I really was confused now. Jake NEVER had refused to go to a party with the Heathers! It was practically unheard of. I began to get nervous.

At our last class I directed Jake to the bathroom. The late bell rang but I wasn't worried and neither was he. "What's up with you turning down a party favor from Chlo, when the Heathers are going to the party?" Jake looked uncomfortable.

"Just trust me man, that party is a lot less cool than what I have planned. The only reason Ram is throwing a party is because he did something stupid and I decided to not invite him. It's a pity party man. Ram'll be bitching for weeks." Jake laughed and tried to ruffle my hair. I grabbed his arm before he could and twisted it around. I let go quickly.

"Th-Sorry man, reflex." I stuttered, Jake smiled at me and I started to get nervous. What do I say now? Ohshit. Power on?

"Rich you oblivious fucking moron tell him-"

"So we should get to class. Text me about the thing tonight." I repeated and Jake nodded.

"You sure that's all you want to talk about man?" He said as I was trying to exit. I shivered, why did he have to know me so well?

"I'm sure, see you after class Jakey D," I left.

"Sure thing Richy G," I heard from the bathroom.

I collected my things after the bell and Jake walked up to me holding a sign up sheet. It was for the school play for next year. 'A Midsummers Night Dream' it read in big letters. My Squip said it looked really lame and would lower my social status. "Rich! Wanna sign up with me?" He asked. He seemed pretty excited about this.

"No, I'm good man, but I'll come watch if I can?" I said glancing over the sheet. It had been up two weeks ago and no one had signed it. Since then a couple signatures landed themselves on that unfortunate piece of paper. Including the schools Broadway wanna-be Christine Canigula.

He nodded and sighed his name and pinned it back into the wall. Chloe was waiting for us as we exited. She was such an overbearing girlfriend recently. Ever since those rumors about Jake started she wouldn't leave him alone and kept giving me dirty looks.

Which, okay, yah, I deserve the mean looks, but she didn't have to be up his ass all the time. It was getting annoying.

She was in a group with Dustin and Dustin's girlfriend. Poor girl didn't know she had been cheated on at least three different times. I kinda felt bad for her. We talked about the party and how lame Kurt and Ram had been acting.

Which reminded me that I had to sell more Squips. Maybe if I saved up enough I would be able to afford a hotel room for every night I supposedly had to stay with my father.

Jake offered me a ride home, but with the glare I got from Chloe I wasn't sure I was willing to risk the balls it would take.

I said goodbye and headed home quietly. My mom wasn't there. I had forgotten the move. I called her and she picked me up.

We were closer to the school and her work in the house we were staying at.

It was huge and I had a big room full of boxes and an unmade bed. I face planted into my bed and groaned. Whatever Jake was planning tomorrow I certainly needed some rest for it.