8. Fear

Adam drifted in and out of consciousness as he was admitted into the ICU

Adam drifted in and out of consciousness as he was admitted into the ICU. He let out a groan. "He's awake. He's awake." Faint voices echoed around him slowly, followed by nurses gathering around him. His vision was blurred and his tongue numb.

"Adam, just breathe... stay calm." The doctor said.

"Do I look like I can freak out right now?" Adam thought in his head upon hearing the doctor's voice. His eyes slowly shut again as soon as the nurse placed the oxygen mask over his nose and mouth.

The next day

"How's the situation?" Emilia asked upon entering the ward.

"The good news is he's in a very stable condition. But he's suffered several injuries. Apart from the broken ribs, he's made it out with minor cuts and bruises. No joints have been injured, so he can be back in a car as soon as the ribs heal." The doctor said.

"The situation isn't really clear on when he'll be back racing as he'll have to undergo rehabilitation and several check-ups before he's cleared to race. But I can say that he's probably done for the season. I'm sorry."

Emilia then turned her head over to Adam who's lying asleep on the hospital bed, with bandages and stitches all over his head and body. She felt a wave of sorrow wash over her.

She couldn't understand why he looked so peaceful

She couldn't understand why he looked so peaceful. She knew that he and every other racing driver accepted the fact that they could end up in a similar situation. Yet they stepped out onto the track full of energy. Danger would always lurk around, it was the cross a racer had to bear.

"How ya feelin'? "Max asked the following day as he came with the Red Bull boys, his teammate Daniel Ricciardo and third driver and fellow GP2 competitor Pierre Gasly.

"I'll be lying if I said I was okay..." Adam replied.

"Mate, that's one flippin' crash... no pun intended." Daniel cracked, to put Adam out of his misery. It helped a little for Adam.

"So, when will you be out?" Pierre asked.

"Doc said I'll be here for about a week. And after that I've got to go through rehab and checkups. That'll put me out of the championship that's for sure. But I hope to comeback before the season ends." Adam replied before heaving a huge sigh.