Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I awoke to my alarm clock and as always, its presence meant that I had school. I wasn't looking forward to it, Hannah called in sick so I wouldn't have anyone to sit with.

Not even Cole.

I quickly pulled on a t-shirt and some loose fitting jeans before bursting out of my room and down the stairs.

"Hey honey? Want some toast?" my mother whispered.

I could tell he was hung over by the way she squinted and flinched at every little sound.

"No." I said simply and headed out the door.

It wasn't too hot outside but it wasn't exactly chilly, it was just perfect. The sky was even cloudless. Today must be a good day. A horn honking startled me out of my thoughts.

"Hey!"

I squinted in front of me.

"Macy!"

I turned around and was greeted with Cole. His head was out of the window and he was waving his arms like crazy.

"Mum, stop the car."

The car stopped next to me.

"So you walk to school?" he questioned.

"Yeah."

"Wanna ride?" he asked earnestly.

"I dunno-"

I began but he cut me off.

"You'll get there quicker and besides, then ill have my buddy to show me around without getting lost."

I debated for a while before giving up. It was going to be a good day after all so why not. I hopped in the back.

"Well hello Macy, I've heard a lot about you." Cole's mother said.

"Don't embarrass me." Cole hissed lowly.

I chuckled lightly. "Hello Mrs.-"

"Johnson. I go by my maiden name."

Oh.

The car ride was pretty fun, not at all how I thought it would be. We were currently singing a Taylor Swift song.

"And we are never ever ever getting back together."

"Like ever." I added and we all laughed.

Mrs. Johnson stopped at the school.

"Well this is your stop. Out you get."

"Thanks for the ride mum." Cole said as he hopped out.

"Thanks for the ride Mrs. Johnson, I enjoyed meeting you." I hopped out as well.

"You too dear."

I stood on the pavement and waved at her as drove away.

"Come on, you don't want to be late do you?" Cole asked.

"I guess not."

He held his hand out for me and I took it, ignoring the warm, tingly, feeling that shot through my core. We walked through the halls and I could already hear the low roar of students whispering, no doubt about me.

"And then afterwards, the movers were so terrified that they almost left the boxes right where they were." Cole kept on talking as we walked, completely oblivious to everything that was happening.

A girl bumped into me, practically shoving me out the way. Cole pulled me closer towards him, so I wouldn't fall.

"Watch where your going!" she hissed, quietly enough so only I heard.

"Slut." she said as she passed.

We walked in silence after that.

"What's wrong?" he asked suddenly, as if noticing my silence.

"Nothing." I smiled slightly.

He hesitated before accepting my answer but I could tell he didn't really buy it. We continued on our way.

•.•

We made it to class on time today and didn't have to worry about getting in trouble again. The moment the bell rang, Mr. Williams started droning on about the importance of math and its uses. I however, dozed off into a dream state. This was the only time I felt completely at ease, it was easier to cope in here than in reality.

I walked through the woods and followed the red bricked path til the end. It stretched across a vast field that led to a small cottage. As I neared it, I realized that the entire thing was made out of candy and sweets. I swiped my pinky against the blue icing and stuck my finger in my mouth.

The front door creaked open slightly and I went to investigate. I stepped into a large kitchen and immediately took a bite out of the table, I've never been able to resist chocolate chip cookies. I stuffed my face with various sweets without caring about anything.

That was the good thing about daydreaming, you could do anything without worrying about the consequences.

"Why hello dearie." an old Irish voice called from behind me.

I whipped around quickly to see a woman at the stove, taking out a batch of cookies.

"Who are you?" I questioned.

Why was she even in my fantasy?

"Do you like the house, I made it all from scratch." she put the pan on the cooling rack before taking off her oven mitts.

"The names Olivia." she whistled a tune as she scooped the cookies onto a plate.

"Enjoy yourself, I didn't make all this so I could eat it by myself."

I did as I was told and after a while, I grew so full that I felt sick.

"Keep eating."

"I can't. Too. Full." I gasped.

"You. Will. Eat." she slammed down a tray of cookies in front of me and watched as I picked one up to my mouth.

"Aw, look at the fatty, always eating."

"I'm not fat." I countered, highly offended.

"Why don't you take a look in the mirror."

She pulled one out for me to look in. I wish I didn't. My stomach was flopping over my pants and my thighs hung to the floor. The whole image started to warp and drip like the wax from a candle.

"Fatty, fatty, two by four, couldn't fit through the kitchen door."

The laughter of children filled the place as they mocked me. I tried to hide my body but I was failing. The sky was getting brighter and brighter until-

"Macy?" Cole shook me.

"Huh?" I woke up and swiped as some drool that hung on my chin.

"It's time to go. You slept through class."

Oh.

"Really? Are we late for class? How long was I asleep?" I fretted.

"You were asleep for a while, I tried waking you up but you were out cold. Are you sure your fine?" his eyes shone with concern, genuine concern.

"I'm fine." I stood up and my vision blurred.

I'm far from it.