12. It's offical

As the weeks went on the weather grew colder and colder. It was too cold and wet to sit outdoors in the park. Especially for Tom - who never seemed to wear a jacket - probably to show off his arms. On Friday we went to get coffee at the cafe we'd gone to the first time. We sat and talked for a while and then agreed to meet on Sunday afternoon at mine. Tom said he would come round at four, after he'd finished on set for the day.
I'd looked forward to him coming round all day, but as soon as i opened the door and saw him, i got all nervous again, like i had the first time we had met.
Things were going great, we spent the whole evening talking and laughing, until my flat mate, Beckie got home.
Tom had just lent in to kiss me when, without warning Beckie opened the door.
Tom and I both jumped. I sprang back, away from him.
Beckie looked Tom up and down, then she turned to me. I could feel my face burning. She was older then me, not by much, but enough to make me feel inferior to her.
"Why didn't you knock?" I snapped.
Beckie ignored me. She turned to Tom expectantly.
He said nothing.
Beckie strode across my bedroom, her arm outstretched. "I'm assuming you're Tom?"
He shook her hand. I noticed, with some admiration, that he did so without either blushing or flinching.
And Beckie looked pretty terrifying. She was wearing an expensive looking suit and loads of makeup. In her heels she was nearly as tall as Tom.
"I'd like you to leave, Tom," she said. "I don't like having people I don't know in my house, especially when I'm not around."
What? No. How was this happening?
"Wait," I said.
But Tom was already walking to the door. "Bye, (Y/N)." He said without even turning around. I ran to the door. I spun round. "Why did you have to be like that?" I shouted. Then i turned and ran out the door.
Tom was almost at the end of the road when i caught up to him. I grabbed his hand and we walked along in silence for a minuet. I didn't know where i was going. Just that I couldn't leave him. Not yet.
Tom glanced down at me. "Well, that went well," he grinned.
"Tom, it's not funny," I said.
He made a face. "Hey she was rude to me, not the other way around."
I rolled my eyes, "Can you hear how childish you sound?" I said.
Tom shook my hand out of his. He looked angry now.
"Fine, run back to Beckie then, see if I care."
I exploded.
"Jeez, Tom. Going out with you is so complicated."
I stopped. I hadn't mean to say "going out". The truth was that although we'd spent a huge amount of time together this week, neither of us had talked about whether we were official or not.
Tom frowned at me. "What?"
"You know," i went on ignoring the "going out" part of what I'd said. "I never know how long I'm Going to have with you before you have to go back to set and you get mad over some of the smallest things. No warning. Just a big pow."
Tom's eyes lightened into the shadows of a smile. "A big pow?" He said slowly.
I stared at him, my anger draining away. I couldn't stay mad. He was just too ... too right. I loved everything about this face. It was the most subtle, expressive face. I'd ever seen in my life.
I shivered. I'd run out of the house in just a t-shirt, and it was getting dark outside and the air was cold. Tom put his hand on my arms, just like he had the night when I'd been sick. His face relaxed into a beautiful grin.
"So we are officially going out, then?" He said, pulling me towards him.
My breath caught in my throat.
"I guess," i grunted, sliding my arms round his back, wanting his so badly I could die. "So long as you can keep your big pows under control."
I shivered again. He rubbed my back. "If I had a jacket with me, I'd let you wear it, you know," he murmured.
"Yeah?"
"Yeah, d'you still want to go for a drink?"
I nodded.
He started kissing my neck, holding me tight. I held my breath, knowing something between us has shifted. That we were closer, somehow.
"Hey, Tom." I gently pushed his face away from me. The look in his eyes was achingly tender. I wanted to tell him that i was falling in love with him. But it wasn't the right time.
Not now. Not yet. Not quite.