44- epilogue ❝it's pink... and cold❞

"Happy birthday!" Strawberry slid her arms around Caleb from the back

"Happy birthday!" Strawberry slid her arms around Caleb from the back. He was standing in front of the mirror brushing his teeth, and he turned and gave her a hug.

"Thanks," he said around a mouthful of toothpaste.

"I better give you your gift before Claudia wakes up."

Claudia, a sweet little girl with golden skin and curly black hair, was their adopted child. When Caleb and Aimee married at twenty and twenty one, the doctor told Aimee she would probably never have children.

He didn't know why, he just said it does happen to some women, and she was one of them.

They waited a year and then adopted Claudia. They never stopped dreaming of having their own child, but after five years, their hope was nearly gone.

"What is it?" Caleb asked excitedly.

Aimee laughed at him, he was like a small child when it came to gifts.

"Weellll..."

"Aimee..."

"Okay, I'll tell you." She stepped back from the sink until she was standing in front of the shower door. "Close your eyes."

°

He reluctantly closed his eyes.

Maybe she had... a new car for him? Or a baseball bat? Yeah, that was it. He loved playing baseball, of course she bought him the bat he had dreamed of for months.

He forced himself to keep his eyes closed. He wanted to see his bat!

"Open your eyes." Her voice was soft and a little shaky.

His eyes popped open.

Where was his bat? Aimee was standing in front of the shower with nothing in her hands. Wait, why was she holding her t-shirt up?

He looked at her bare stomach and his heart stopped.

In the middle of her stomach was a blue heart.

"Aimee... " His throat clogged and his eyes watered. "What?" It couldn't be what he was thinking. It wasn't possible.

His head was swirling and he felt dizzy.

"Caleb. Don't faint on me."

A baby?

Why else would she have drawn a heart on her stomach. But Aimee couldn't have children.

"You're going to have a baby?"

She smiled and Caleb noticed she was crying. "Yes," she said, "I'm going to have a baby." Her face the brightest smile he had ever seen.

"But, how? The doctor said..."

"I don't know. It just happened. I was at the doctor yesterday and I'm already four months along."

"Oh my god... I'm going to be a dad? Again? Are you serious? Oh my god. Oh. My. God."

He swiped at the tear trickling down his face.

His legs were shaking, he couldn't stand much longer. He sank to his knees on the bathroom floor and cried.

Aimee's arms were around him instantly and he could feel her crying too.

Was he good enough to be a father to his own child? His own child, his flesh and blood?

"You'll be the best dad," Aimee said into his shoulder, mirroring his thoughts.

He had Claudia, his daughter that he thought of as his own. But she was three when they got her. Could he handle a newborn? He didn't know anything about them.

"Daddy?"

"Claudia. Come." She joined the little group on the floor.

"Why are you and mommy on the floor?"

"We're so happy Claud."

"Claudia, you're seven now, you're a big girl. And such a good girl too. We have a surprise for you."

Claudia loved surprises, just like her daddy. "What is it?"

Caleb couldn't contain himself. "You're going to have a little brother."

Claudia gasped. "A brother!?" She hugged them around the neck. "Can I play with him? What's his name? How old is he?"

"No Claud. We're not adopting him. I'm having a baby."

"But mommy, I thought you told me you can't?"

"I don't know what happened honey, but I'm going to have a baby in five months."

"A baby..." Claudia sounded awed.

"Yes, a baby." Caleb tried to wrap his mind around it. He hugged Aimee and Claudia tighter and murmured in Aimee's hair, "thank you."

She laughed. "Don't thank me, thank yourself. But since I'm the one who's going to have the baby I think I deserve a little treat don't you think?"

"Like what?"

"Well, it's pink... and cold."

That, my friends, is how you end a book abruptly. And you're welcome for this even though I'm not happy with it...

dedicated to A_Teenage_Oreo
life_am

Minor_In_Possession_

please tell me if you read, voted and commented on this book and didn't get a dedication. I'm sorry if I missed someone.

So this is the end of Strawberry and Calebs story. Book wise only, because their real story will never stop. Their grandchildren will be telling their
own children how their great grandparents met through a phone call and ice cream.

I can't believe it's over. I had so much fun writing it.

Thank you so much for getting it 3k reads 400 votes and to 70 in short story.

I love you all, I honestly do.

<3muffin