Chapter 6

© 2014 by tore56789 (GOS) All rights reserved.

Her teacher was fired after that.  Even though the school thought asking such actions was far too severe a punishment.But when powerful parents –and some with great position in the community rallied together and threatened to hurt that teaching establishment financially –stressing since that day their children had nightmares –they had no other choice. 

Jillian he knew from the memory, hadn’t wanted the teacher fired.  She had told her father she didn’t blame him.  That he was a good teacher, and needed that job for his family.  But her father had just told her, it was out of his hands, as other parents were set on disciplining him.  Trying to make her understand; sometimes sorry wasn’t always just a good enough excuse, for someone’s actions –when the damage was done.

The proprietor approached, “So have you decided yet on anything that caught your fancy.” 

“I guess you don’t have a Vegan menu, by any chance, something without meat?”

The woman laughed whole heartedly, and as if that brought encouragement, one of the kids made a mooing sound –proof their short discourse had carried.

“You hush yourself Leroy Johnson, and mind your own business.  Or else I’ll tell your Pa when he gets here shortly how you’ve been acting in my place.  And that’ll sure as hell mean a stropping. You hear me Leroy.”

After a moment came the reply, with the cockiness gone, “Yes, I hear you mam.”  

She turned back to Tobias, and said thinking an excuse was in need of, “They mean no harm, just stupid kids.”  She smiled afterwards.  “Their dad picks them up here after school, when he finishes at the timber mill, at five.  Normally they mind their own bees wax.  But being kids, they can sometimes catch me when my guard’s down. ”

Then after a moment, “Could do you a nice omelette.  Nothing died when producing a little old egg.  They just come out by nature’s way in God’s true time –right into the frying pan.”

Even though, the face looking down at her seemed convinced she was going to make a sale. The feeling Tobias sensed in Jillian’s stomach, told otherwise.  So eventually, he had his host voice, “Maybe, I’ll just go for some of your delicious homemade apple pie.”

“Would you like it with cream, or without, honey?”

Sensing the tingle again, she voiced, “Maybe without, might suit better.”

“Would you like anything to drink with that?”

“Yes, a glass of pure orange juice, if you have it?”

“Sure do,” she answered scribbling it all down, “I’ll have it here in less than two flicks of a lamb’s tail.”  She then gave a smile before her departure, “If not sooner.”

“Thanks,” the girl said, smiling back up at her.

As she walked back, Tobias saw, she gave the teen a light slap on the back of the head, before disappearing behind the counter.

Alone, he thought out what he had to do. Regarding his purchase?  But he was happy with the person too he had stepped into.  He sensed great sincerity and kindness in this host.  And that warmth reached into him too present as consciousness.  Getting by on rabbit food, mineral water, whatever, was all just part of the life he had acquired –ever since he had drifted from one person to another, and shared their experiences for a short spell.

He reckoned, as her wallet had cash, cash was the safest commodity to use. Wouldn’t put down a snail track of his activities, as he reckoned too she had easily enough in her bag to buy the Ford Escort. So choosing to farther that bet after he ate, he waited for Betty’s homemade delicious apple pie to arrive.

“I brought you a jug of orange juice too.  All on the house,” she smiled down at her.

“Thanks.”

Placing the plate down on the table, “Haven’t seen you around here before?  Are you visiting?”

“More like passing through,” the girl smiled up at her, taking a spoon to try the pie. Then after a moment, “This is really good,” she said making a face.  The taste that came to his senses, from the girl, reminded him of homemade pie his Maw made when he was little.  Usually after morning service they would have it after their main meal, if they naturally completed the first. 

“Thanks.”

Swallowing the bite, she resumed, “I came from Ted’s.  I’m after sealing a deal there for an automobile.”

“So how is the old coot? Charming as ever?”

“I guess.  He said if you knew he sent me, you’d look after me real well.”

She laughed again, “The charmer.  Think he could with that tongue of his talk the chrome finish off one of his autos.” She smiled, “Anyway, you take care.  I’ll leave you alone now to finish in peace.”

By himself, he examined her handbag, and placed the amount he needed for the purchase into a separate pocket, so it would be easy to extract when he got back to the lot.  Also, he extracted her driving licence from a black wallet he found, and placed it likewise in the same place, along with her Gold card –to keep everything together, so they were easily accessible, if needed.  With that exercise completed, the woman sat back, and finished her lone desert.