Chapter 8

© 2014 by tore56789 (GOS) All rights reserved.

The woman had driven solid for like four hours.  He only told her to stopped when he sensed she was feeling fatigued.  When he spotted a roadside motel ahead; one of those oddities with lodges springing out to the side of the main building, which served as reception? 

He knew he was pushing her hard.  Fearing he might leave her at any time.  LOSE THIS CHANCE!!! 

His biggest fear was getting tossed farther back into the past, like the early twentieth century, because that would be his tomb.  There it was possible to linger for years making out a life best you could.  Hoping every day might be the day when you’ll get sent forward again in time. 

He had come from there, after only before having got within feet of Peter Reece, occupying Electrician, Philip Brook?  It had been this time’s future.  There Reece wasn’t a child, but a very weary adult in his early forties.  The last thing he had expected when approaching Reece’s car, as Philip Brook, was for Reece to retrieve a gun from inside his car, and shoot him several times in the chest.  Then just to drive away as he was dying.  As if killing a man wasn’t a big deal.  It was a strange time to die, inside the body of Philip Brook, with snow existing on the road, and all around, and with such a chill in the night air, and with it just being a few days till Christmas Day.    

He had left the person then.  And found he was occupying the body of a priest in 1950s America.  He was happy when he was thrown out of that person, after a week.  As some of that person’s thoughts were appalling.  For someone like him who worked in the same industry.  And who was religious to a certain degree by his nature. And who believed in good morals and ethics in his own time. 

This person had real lecherous thoughts.  Trying to scheme up ways to bed women he knew were going to him for comfort, guidance, solutions to keep their marriages on the right path.  But memories he captured from this person, were sick, and degenerate, and so depraved.  They even included thoughts regarding finding ways to get to their children, and children within his parish.  Children he had taken a sexual fancy to while looking down at while giving sermon.  So the good father could caress them, and help them too, to find God’s way.  Nothing of God’s grace or virtues existed in that man!  He just felt absolutely nauseated by his putrid thinking.  Which would’ve made a devout cleric turn achiest?

When he was flung into a simple family man who worked as a postman, in the same era, not more than a hundred miles away in the same State, with good kind thoughts, he was content to remain.  Except he hadn’t expected that stay was going to be like three years, as he lived as that person, partly driving him along, partly tuning out best he could –for his own sanity.  When he had sex with this man’s wife, Tobias tried to imagine he was back with his wife. 

So really the only thing this man’s wife had present, penetrating her –was flesh –as her husband’s true presence, personality, all he was, had long ago vanished –she of course being totally unaware of that.  Moments such as those, he could just as easily have been a praying mantas, copulating a female –having had his head bitten clean off.  In those times, he naturally thought of his wife, asking her forgiveness, and of his boys. 

Then this morning, as he was driving about and delivering the mail to various addresses, in that era, as per usual, he just knew he wasn’t a part of that time anymore.  He was instead, inside his present host, Doctor Jillian Cooper, in the early twenty first century.