Chapter 16

© 2014 by tore56789 (GOS) All rights reserved.

The doctor looked up, and smiled politely, on auto.

“As you might have gathered by now, we’re following up on an Amber alert.  You wouldn’t mind looking at a photo we have of the missing girl.”

“No officer.”

He placed it down, “She was taken around 2:30 in the afternoon, from what the All Points Bulletin tells us, from a bordering town to this here county.  We’re following a lead she was seen with two men about fifty miles from here, outside of a fast food place.  So we’re combing the area, working alongside their county Sherriff’s department.” 

Tobias looked at the picture, through the eyes of his host.  He saw a very beautiful blonde girl looking back up at him, hair down behind her shoulders.  He guessed not even in her teens.  She was smiling when it was taken, dressed in a plain t-shirt, that looked to be a size to big.  She looked like the daughter any parent would adore to have.  He could only assume, been miss popular, along with being a cheerleader, would follow such a child. He after all, had never been blessed with a daughter, in his own time, this time’s future.  But if God had granted him a daughter, such a daughter he would have welcomed into his family.

“I’m sorry officer.  I won’t be of much help to you.  As at the moment I’m staying at a motel down the road.  And before that, I was driving none stop, till I got to this place.”  She smiled, as girls do, when they want to get around guys.”

“Would you have ID Miss?”

Tobias hadn’t expected that.  But nevertheless said, “Yes,” looking in the girl’s bag.” where he knew he had it stashed, encase something like this came up.   

The young dipody took a look at it, then at the girl.  Then handing it back said, “Sorry for troubling you doc.  You have a good day now.”

“Thanks dipody.”

As he walked off, Tobias watched him for any odd behaviour.  But when he didn’t see it showing, he instructed the girl to continue eating. 

From the PA, he heard the dipody on stage, asking, if anyone had seen the girl, would they head out to meet up with the Sherriff.  He guessed, whose picture, had been placed up on the screen overlooking the stage? 

After that, something like, fifteen minutes later, he heard the singer say, “Okay folks, we’re alone again,” with a slight laugh, “Don’t no one say, Moonshine and Apple Pie, ain’t all out to assist the law.”

Tobias heard motion from the audience over the speaker.  Then after a pause, the singer continued with, “Before we go on with another song.  I’d like to first say a few words.  I’d like to ask God to see the safe return of that little girl.  As I know she has ken out there tonight fretting like crazy and awaiting to hear some good news.  So God, if you’re a-listening.  Bring her back safely to those that truly care about her.” 

Clapping then erupted, along with yells, all applauding what the singer had just said, before loud instrumental shot back into action.   And as he forced Jillian to finish her vegetarian dish, he thought though, with sadness.  Even if the singer was optimistic, true statistics said –adoptees were usually murdered within a few hours of being taken –even with an all out Amber alert in progress.

Before getting up, and wondering back outside to confront the mayhem.  He was really delighted this time he had landed in a shrink.  As somehow, amazingly, the Sheriff's department saw psychiatrists as off their radar.

Getting into the parked ford escort, he took one last look at the place.  Person he now knew was Bobby-Jim was still sitting in his spot at the wooden table, arm wrestling himself away to hold onto being champion.  Not seeming it looked like yet having taken up Jessie’s challenge.  But then the night was still young.

He saw more bottles of beer had gathered on the table.  As if all it took to take on the man at a shot to the top was buy him a few beers.  He saw girls to jeering behind the champion, topless, shaking their tits like crazy –for all he knew those sent by Jessie.

He doubted very much they had been exposed like that, when the dipodies were roaming about?  But then he understood some people liked hassling cops.  Because cops after all, by their demeanour, forced hard the message not to be liked!            

With that, he instructed the girl to drive off.  Only when he hit the dark road, did he wonder, what the waitress had meant about Trevor’s boys?