Chapter 12

© 2014 by tore56789 (GOS) All rights reserved.

“I promise,” the words came, lost, but sincere.  Then a little teary, she asked, “And I want you to promise me.  Whatever you’re about to do, that it won’t take you from me.  Because then, no promise would be good enough, as I’d prefer to be with you, than left here.”

Then after a pause, “I give you my word, on all the secrets we’ve sworn to, I won’t leave you alone, ever.” 

“Just remember, to text me, if anyone rings looking for me, so that I can contact them from my side.  Also, if you really need me, I’m only a phone call away, until this is all over.  Remember that, only a phone call away.” Again, the sincerest note of love was in her voice!

After a little more chat, the line died.  Then the phone was just held in Doctor Jillian’s hand, as she lay out on the bed, in her bathrobe. 

Tobias felt a little guilty.  But he knew if it wasn’t this person and her bipolar sister.  It would be another person with some other obstacles to overcome, as he separated him/her from their family ties –it was all after all part of the life he now lead.

Besides, even if Evelyn chose to take her life –it was nothing compared to what he was trying to accomplish –attempting to give back to the world a future!  The sad reality of it anyway, kids for whatever reasons, chose to end their lives in every town, city, in every corner of the world, every day.  Evelyn would be just one more added to that statistic.  He had though, offered Evelyn a means to reach her sister, which showed even with the nature of the mission, there was compassion on his side.  

With that, he instructed her to put the phone back.  Now with all ties savoured.  He was ready to go for the home run.  And he knew one thing for sure.  A kid of about ten wasn’t going to take a gun from out of his satchel, and shoot this good doctor dead.  Not such a beautiful pleasant woman like Jillian Cooper.  In a way, he felt the cards were loaded on his side this time.  As if it was destiny he landed in this person.  As the child, with childlike innocence, wouldn’t expect the trap, until it was too late.  With that, the woman rolled over onto her back from her side, and stared out the window as the day started to darken outside.  In an amazing way, he was happy to be in 2006.  As he truly believed, the day after tomorrow, he might be going home.  Unless, he woke up again in someone else’s body, in the distant past.

A part of him, just wanted to lie there inside the woman’s body.  Not desiring to get up from the bed.  Not really wishing to do anything.  God, what he’d give now to be held by his wife again!  Look into her eyes!  See her smile!  Hear her words!  See the faces of his children!  Oh, too just wake up in his own time, and realise all that happened was just some crazy dream!  But he knew if he closed the eyes he was looking through, and opened them again, it would still be in this girl’s body.  He knew, because he had thought those same thoughts so many times before, in other hosts.    

Even as a Funeral Director’s son.  Tobias never thought of himself as fully religious; even though he did certainly practise his Jewish fate, as did his wife and his two boys.  There was no special law that said even if you prepared the dead for burial, cremation, you had to believe in what you practised, wholeheartedly, right down to hell and brimstone.  In truth, until he had travelled though time as consciousness, he assumed death was just the shutting down of a machine.  And everything that person was till then, was erased when that machine turned itself off –like a computer wiping its RAM memory, when you switched it off.

Even as a boy, in his puberty years, the dead were a curiosity.  Especially, if some fresh cadaver in the guise of some nice teenage girl was delivered to his father, and placed afterwards in cold storage.  He never desired to do bad things to them.  He mainly just wanted to look at their naked bodies.  Maybe cup a breast, or touch or rub or massage a nipple –like a real girlfriend would have allowed him somewhere down the line.

As he was shy of girls, at that time, he found spending time with such bodies, helped him conquer that shyness.  Boosted his courage to ask some real girl out on a date?  And then his early morning fascinations faded away.  He just saw them –when he assisted his father with the embalming process.   He never saw it as ghoulish, or freaky, or insane.  And he never saw it as disrespectful, as he always treated them with the utmost of respect. 

He knew every heterosexual male would love to be him.  To experience the sensation what it was like to be inside a woman.  To be plugged into their thoughts.  Too have full control over their bodies.  He knew only so well being a man –what dark sexual desires they would wish to fulfil – especially if they were inside a beautiful woman like Jillian Cooper, lying almost naked on a bed.