Chapter 15

© 2014 by tore56789 (GOS) All rights reserved.   

The girl laughed again, “Must be an owl dog now.  When I was a little-one, hanging around here, I remember Trevor bringing his two boys.  Oh, they must have been about seventeen, eighteen, at the time, in the back of his red truck. His wife next to him, pleasant like, but a huge woman.  And I mean huge.  And going by these here parts, that’s saying something.  That there hound of his then would jump out of the back, and start barking like crazy around the place.  Like it had caught onto the scent of some demon, or other...”  She stopped, her eyes distracted by something outside, only ending her words after a moment, “But then, there was that incident with his boys.  And old Trevor just locked himself away in that motel of his.  Only sends out to the store these days for supplies once a week.  Never comes down this way anymore.” 

Tobias saw even as the girl spoke, her eyes hadn’t moved from the spot.  But then she trained them to the door.  And he spotted a young dipody in a white hat standing there.   And without another word, the girl was walking over, shaking her hips.  Moments later, they seemed to be caught up in what looked to him, a bit more than casual conversation, as the dipody in his uniform, leaned himself up against the side of the door, to get closer to the waitress.

As quickly as he chanced a look through Jillian’s eyes, he ordered the doctor to turn away.  He didn’t like police.  He knew he had nothing to fear from them.  As he was sure his excuse for not getting to Jillian’s parents, was holding up.  And he knew too, his host had a legal permit for the 38 she was carrying.  That paperwork was also in her bag.  So legally, he had immunity from the cops.  Even the car had proof of ownership to his host in the glove compartment.

Turning to the window, he saw then three squad cars had pulled up outside.  Some officers were out and about checking cars, talking to the gathering.

Then from the back, Tobias heard over the P.A, “See Sherriff dumb-ass has come along with all his cousins from the next county to join our hoedown.”  He recognized straight away the voice as that of the lovable Jessie.

As if in response, the police cars outside activated their sirens, to give a momentary screech.

“What you say we give them a helping hand, and send them right back to where they came from.  What you say folks, we try and be nice and hospitable to the Sherriff.”

“You hush your nascence Jessie.  Or I’ll have you up on charges so fast for inciting a riot, and threatening bodily harm to members of the Sherriff’s department, your britches will still be standing there on that there stage, when we grab you.  And then boy, a few nights in my little old poky, will knock you right back to where you came from.”  He stopped, like for maybe, ten, fifteen seconds.  That’s what it seemed like to Tobias anyhow.  And in that time, he could still observe the dipody and the waitress were still chatting, from taking a quick peek.  He saw too, other people in the room seemed to be regarding this as the norm, and just went on eating and chatting. 

“Okay folks.  We don’t want no trouble.  I’m here with the boys on official police business.  That’s all.  We ain’t interested in anything else.  We ain’t here to hassle no one.  We ain’t here to take the fun away that yea all’s having tonight, with Moonshine and Apple Pie’s return.   The only reason for our stopping is; we’re after responding to an Amber alert, about a little girl taken from our county earlier.  And we thought you folks here might be able to help to us.” the Sherriff returned with, over a megaphone.

“You got a picture Sherriff?  If you have the tech boys can get right to it and get it up right behind me on the screen.”  The singer came back more understandable.

“Sure do.  I’ll get one of my deputies to drop it right in,” he ended, signing off with a slight feedback, as the megaphone gave a dying screech, when he depressed the button.

Just then, he saw the young blond dipody, had dislodged himself from the door.  And with the girl nowhere in sight, was wondering over to a table.  He saw him talk a while to an elderly couple sitting there, before excusing himself politely.

So not too look suspicious, he ordered the girl to eat, as she hadn’t touched the plate of food till then.  He was just trying to decide, what flavours her mental processes were passing on to him, when the voice said above his host, “Pardon me for the interruption, Mam.”