11 | as suspicions grow

"You are happy, aren't you Elijah?" Jess asked a rather quiet Elijah who hadn't said much to her or to anyone at the party after her or rather her mothers' announcement.

"It's not about being happy. I just wish you had of at least waited to tell me before announcing it to all these random people." He responded softly, still processing the fact that he and Jess were going to have a baby.

"I wanted to surprise you, I thought you'd be pleased...and they're not random people."

"There are millions of ways you could have surprised me. This wasn't one of them." He replied as he helped her clear away the empty wine glasses sitting on the dining table.

"Okay, I'm sorry. I didn't think."

"No Jess, you never do." He commented harshly, moving away from Jess and entering the kitchen.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion at his latest remark. She adjusted her body so she stood directly in front of him, obstructing his movements and forcing him to make eye-contact with her.

"Nothing, it's just...nothing."

"Why does it feel like something's changed...between me and you?" Jessica hesitantly leaned out and rested her hand against his cheek; feeling the graze of his lightly stubbled chin.

"Nothing's changed, we're the same. All couples fight, but I love you and you love me, and that's it." He gently grabbed hold of her wrist, planting a meaningful kiss against the palmer aspect of her hand.

The simper and visible flush forming on Jess's cheek emphasised the fact that she was falling for Elijah all over again; almost as hard as she had nearly eight years ago, "You do want this baby though, don't you?"

"I never said I didn't."

"You don't have to say it. It's written all over your face." She responded; the tone of her voice clement but still slightly accusing.

"I-I just didn't expect it to happen so soon." He admitted reluctantly.

"And now that it has?"

"Jess, If I'm honest, I really don't think I'm ready to be a dad yet."

Jess sighed deeply, glancing up at Elijah with her leaden eyes. Her fingers continued to fumble against each other indicating her nervousness but more-so her disappointment as she spoke, "I know we're young but I truly want this. Whether it happens now or later on means nothing to me. I want this baby, purely because it's ours. Can you imagine it, a child half of me and half of you? Don't you want that too?" As she finished her lengthy monologue, her tone resorted to pleading.

Elijah avoided her pleading gaze. Of course, he had wanted that one day but that day definitely wasn't today.

Throughout the years, it had rapidly become customary for Jess to get whatever she asked of him, pretty much as soon as she asked and as the man who loved her and wanted nothing more than to see a huge smile on her face, he was more than happy to oblige.

But now more than ever, he was coming to realise that it truly was a one-way street with Jess.

Kylie coming to live with them for months, remaining celibate and now this. These had all been decisions Jess had made on her accord with little negotiating with Elijah.

"I guess that's that, then." He smiled weakly; the smile not quite reaching his eyes.

"How long have you known?"

"Not long at all. I was so busy with the wedding preparations that I didn't even realise my period was late. I went to the doctor and found out I'm nearly three months."