31 | once a cheater

"I already know the risks. But I'm willing to pay the whole price. Please... I'm desperate." Kylie muttered into the phone, growing increasingly agitated with the person on the other end of the call as the conversation progressed.

"Since when do people like you even care about things like that? No...I didn't mean it like that. Look, I'm sorry, I just...please?" She continued, her voice growing louder as each second passed.

Unbeknown to Kylie, Libby had decided to treat Kylie to breakfast-in-bed that morning and had trotted up the stairs almost silently, before waiting to knock on the door but instead deciding against it, as she listened to the strange phone conversation unfold.

"I promise you, no one will be able to trace anything back to you. You have my word."

Libby's face crumpled in confusion as she placed her head closer to the door, becoming increasingly concerned for the young girl.

"Do we have a deal?" Kylie asked the person on the other end, sternly.

Libby pushed open the door suddenly, interrupted Kylie's conversation. If Kylie was to be living in her home, for now, she wouldn't allow her to make any more decisions that would ultimately lead to further consequences. "I thought I'd surprise you by bringing breakfast up to you today." She spoke as she plastered a rather unconvincing smile across her pale face.

Kylie hurriedly murmured some barely audible words into her phone before carelessly hauling her iPhone across her bed, "great, thank you." Kylie answered cheerfully; an unsuccessfully hidden worried expression still lurking on her face.

"Who was that you were talking to on the phone?"

"So, you're listening into my private conversations now, huh?" Kylie cocked her head backwards in mock-horror at the very prospect, half-joking with the older woman but also half-irritated by the fact.

"No, I just overheard some of what you were saying when I was coming up the stairs to you. It sounded...a little odd to me, that's all. I was concerned about you...especially after our chat yesterday."

"Oh, so you're going to use that against me now? Just because I told you one thing, it doesn't suddenly make you my new mum, okay?" Kylie exclaimed, harshly. Maybe, a little too harshly.

"No, I know that. I just...just tell me you're not doing something stupid, please?" Libby pleaded.

"Okay, I'm not doing something stupid."

"Can I believe you?"

"Whether you believe me or not doesn't bother me. I couldn't care less. I'll be out of here soon enough." Kylie yawned absent-mindedly, her hard exterior evidently back in place.

"You don't have to go just yet. I'm sorry if I upset you by asking you, I know it wasn't my place." Libby sighed, admitting defeat. She'd finally thought she'd made the much-needed break-through with Kylie. Yes, it was still true that maybe the girl would never truly forgive her, but she knew that if Kylie let her she could've helped her out of the rut she was currently in.

Because it may have been a very long time ago, but once Libby had realised she'd ruined the lives of two young children as well as their mother, she'd been in that same place. Hating herself, even wanting to punish herself. But only a year later, when her tummy had swollen with her eldest child, Colby, she'd found that much-needed hope that had helped her move on.

Her son had been the one to save her life. And maybe, just maybe, she thought – she could be the one to save Kylie, from herself.

"It's fine, honestly. Let's just leave it."