36 | when it's over

They all had blood on them. Both physically and figuratively.

The stench of iron hung heavy in the air, even now as the clock ticked on half an hour later.

There'd been so much blood. It'd covered the carmine-coloured carpet almost completely, except you could barely see the blood because of its very colour. Completely hidden, almost symbolic some may say; Kylie and Elijah had hidden their affair from Jess behind a veil of lies and now the death remained concealed in that same lair of lust.

All three had been in such close proximity to one another at that moment so the inevitable blood splatter had covered all three, making sure that none would leave that room without the victims' remains still on them. Even the walls of the room couldn't escape the remnants of the victims skull.

Libby had been first. Her hands trembling violently as she, with her eyes tightly closed, pushed open the door to expose the scene in front of her. An animalistic sob sounding from somewhere deep in her chest as she raced over to Kylie, holding the girls' numb and unresponsive body in her arms.

Pattie's reaction had been different. Her eyes were gleaming with hot tears but she didn't attempt to move towards Jess other than to remove the gun from her unresisting hand and then proceeded to make a phone call to her husband. Her hand clasped over the left side of her chest as she wept inarticulate words into the phone.

Valerie had remained outside, not bearing to walk into the crime scene. She'd lost one child, the fear of losing another was too great. She'd immediately rushed to call an ambulance and when it had quickly arrived, Pattie had opted to stay behind at the house. She'd meet them at the hospital, she said. She had something to do before the police officers made their way to the crime scene, she said.

No one raised any questions.

"No, wait! Where are you going? The hospital is the other way, turn the car around!" She yelled, attempting to grab the steering wheel.

"You're in shock. We all are. The best thing we can do is go home, right now."

"You promised we'd follow after the ambulance. You promised me! You both promised me! I should've gone with them in that ambulance, I knew I should've gone with them." Kylie cried, her tears adding to the decorative pattern already on her blood-stained clothes.

"Listen to me, Kylie," Valerie spoke from the back of the car, she and Libby had privately agreed to tell Kylie that they'd be going to the hospital, in an attempt to coerce her into the car and instead, take her home first. "If we take you to the hospital right now, there will be police there. You'll have to give a statement. This is buying you time to think over what happened, where that gun came from...Kylie, I can't risk losing another child, I really can't." Valerie yelled, her voice audibly shaking.

"Is that honestly what you care about?" Kylie all but laughed before turning towards Libby who had yet to speak, "Libby, please take me to the hospital, I'm begging you please I need to know if--" She cut off, unable to complete her sentence.

Libby drew a deep breath in, and turned to face Valerie, "I'm sorry Val, it's the right thing to do." She then made a U-turn to turn the car around and drove stealthily to the hospital.

Once they'd arrived, Kylie immediately hopped out of the car, ignoring the calls of both the women behind her. She jogged down the hospital wards, feeling the stares of those around her piercing into her skin. She knew she probably appeared to be a cannibal for she had more than just a few streaks of blood painted on her face.

A reception desk came into view, and she bolted towards it before she heard the oh-so-familiar voice from behind her.

"How do you even have the audacity to show your face around here after everything you've done? You've ruined everything!" Pattie screeched, she'd have attacked the girl if it wasn't for Cody almost restraining his mother.